internet connection, guaranteed weirdest you'll see all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Solid State Member
Well first of all I live in rural Alaska, so I have internet that is over the air from the tower miles away to the dish on the roof and through the modem to my router/computer, kind of like over-the-air television. Obviously not the most ideal kind of internet. So anyway here are the annoying little problems I get:

- Forums/websites, many forums etc (like this one) that i log in to randomly log me off, sometimes it's even so bad that it confirms my login and sends me to the index page and I'm not logged in anymore! lol
Also I have problems with captcha alot of times, like when I registered with this site I had to redo the code 3 times. Also I once got an error on a forum saying that it deteccted a proxy server, was fine when i refreshed though.

- Email attachments, often times with yahoo and gmail I'll try to upload a picture etc and the thing shows as instantly attached and then a little while later says it can't attach for some unknown error. Interestingly, it works with yahoo mail classic just fine. Youtube uploads do the same thing except it actually does upload eventually if you leave it for a while, although it still shows as an error on the upload screen lol

- Games, literally every single game I'm played in the last year (I've had this internet for about a year) has had connection to server errors. In Ghost Recon:AW I had extreme difficulty connecting other non-dedicated servers. In Command and conquer generals I couldn't connect to a friends server and the only way it could work is if I hosted the server myself. I had to try a dozen times logging into Combat Arms before it would work....it would keep giving an error that i couldn't find any info on it online.
And more importantly, when i try to connect to cod4 servers it gives me the dreaded "awaiting keycode authorization" error 4 times out of 5. Additionally, I get lag spikes every couple minutes in game and it's not due to wireless network searching.

-Misc other things, like ventrilo I often have to retry connecting to the server 5 or so times.

And now for the fun part:

When I go to sites that show my IP, my IP changes almost every time I refresh LOL

Also I know it isn't a computer error, as I have 2 computers (my old vista and this one, w7) and only got a router recently.

I'd call the ISP but it's not really my internet and plus we have talked to them before and they don't seem to think that this service is acting weird, after all it is the cheapo service (they haven't installed the better service for this area yet).

Any idea why this might be? Any tech tweaks I could do to the computer/router that might help?

I have 1 Mbps download, 500 kbps upload although the upload is often 50-100 kbps lower.

update drivers (may fix changing ips)

run malware scans (this may fix forum logoffs)
malwarebytes, ccleaner, combofix

check viewer for warnings and errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom