Internet Access from a PC with Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photocon

Beta member
I have a computer with wi-fi capability. I was told that when I came near, or visited an internet cafe, I would be able to access the WEB via this computer.
I have tried but nothing seems to work. I asked the person in charge of "starbucks cafe" and they told me that I should get some kind of signal and be able to transmit from my PC. The PC has an 802.11b card (which I believe is wi-fi) and the card seems to be working, but... nothing.
Can someone explain wi-fi to me or direct me to a link that can help. Maybe there is some kind of software that is needed? I have tried Google but I have had so many hits and so many ads that I have given up on this.
Thanks in advance
Photocon

you should have everything you need. first, make sure that your card is on and the scan for networks. If you don't find one at starbucks, go somewhere else who has one as starbucks' may not be working.

Like KFC said, make sure your card is on. I know my daughter's lappy has a switch on it to turn it on and off.

Make sure your local area connection is enabled too. Go to my computer-my network places-view network connections and see if there is one that says wireless or something that says connected. If not, right click on it, and hit enable.

also make sure you have service pack 2 I do believe the versions of xp before didn't have the wireless connection facility which makes it a lot easier to find wireless areas.

Its can be possible that the cafe was only using the G standard and not allowing B but I doubt it.

Can you access the wireless settings and choose view wireless networks?

Try this great link to know Wi-Fi and how it works
untill you've overview about it

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm/printable

then make sure that :
- setup the driver of your card (if wireless connection icon appears in Control Panel> network connections this mean it correctly installed).

- you near a hotspot that could be available in Net cafes, resturants, hotels, airports.

- this hotspot support Wireless-B (there is three types Wireless-A,B or G) almost Wireless-G support G and B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom