Interet TV - Free or Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Anyone here cancel their cable and now watch all their programs online? Im looking to cancel my cable as soon as I find an online service either cheap or free. Getting tired of my $108 bill each month and only watch less that 8 channels. I was looking into Hulu, Playon, NetFlix, etc. Would really like to find a service that plays the same shows, movies, etc that cable does at the same time. Like this Sunday, River Monsters comes on at 10pm and I'd like to watch that online and not on cable.

PlayOn Digital Media Server | PlayOn

Won't that max out your download limit pretty **** quick?
Only if you have a download limit. I dont have one put upon me, so i can use things like Playon to access Hulu on my XBOX and not worry about it.

Only if you have a download limit. I dont have one put upon me, so i can use things like Playon to access Hulu on my XBOX and not worry about it.

For us poor folk that have download limits tho it's a problem :p

I'd LOVE to be able to watch everything on my pc, but unfortunately I'm thinking it'd just burn through the gigabytes so quickly :sad:

Mine is unlimited but there are actually limits to most, not sure if that applies to all.

Yeah i know that not all ISP's provide with an unlimited download bandwidth. So yeah this could present an issue. But as i stated in the XBOX area in the thread that Overload started about PlayOn, you have to remember that these videos are stored on a server for viewing on the internet in a browser or possibly through a desktop app like the one hulu has.

So really these videos and that are not all that large. It is like watching a YouTube video in a sense cause they are not the greatest quality and they are made to be viewed on any system that supports flash. So really your not getting as big a hit as it seems at first.

While operating PlayOn via my XBOX it takes no more than 2 minutes, at most, to load a episode of whatever i am watching. Be it a 22 minutes episode of a show or a 45 minutes episode of a show that is usually an hour on TV with commercials.

So the actual size of the videos is not that large to download. I mean if you are using the service non stop 24/7 cause all you do is watch TV, then yeah it will eat up a lot of bandwidth. But even just using it for a few hours a day i would wager to guess that i havent downloaded more than a few GB of actual data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom