Improving internet speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you cant run speed test when you have anything uploading or downloading. You do it when your connection is idle to get accurate results.

I'm 100milles west of Chicago and we get this usually. We pay for a 10g connection. You should be getting the same there in Chicago.....check your package with your ISP and see what they have you paying for. Some modems and routers are slow also, could be a bottleneck or worst case someones on your connection.

yea, I was playing CSS yesterday and noticed that my connection would drop in and out while playing. I also couldn't get a good connection at all in Left 4 Dead. Also, could this be because I am using a wireless linksys PCI card? Ive NEVER had a problem before, my connection is always 54mb/s which is the max for the wireless. I dont think this is the wireless's fault though... is it?

I am using a wireless linksys PCI card? Ive NEVER had a problem before, my connection is always 54mb/s which is the max for the wireless. I dont think this is the wireless's fault though... is it?

I've had problems with my old lynksys wireless router, but you could be right....it might not be a wireless problem. I moved up to a 108 gaming router but at this point I wouldn't suggest running out and buying anything until your sure of the problem. You said pci-card, are your running MAC address filtering, Wep or Wap? On my routers firmware it shows the wireless clients that are connected. If you live in appartments or condo's someone might be close enough to pick up the wireless connection. A couple friends of mine including myself had our connection go from 10,000k to 200k and I had to format. I still don't know and can't find what hack or damage someone did to us. It happend through either a bf2 server or ventrillo. Can you connect to your router via eathernet wire and run speedtest again? Have you checked with your ISP to see what internet speed your paying for? Are you running cable out of wall to modem then router? I'll let more expierenced members in here tell you if its safe to list the name or your connection hardware....hence my noob status http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/router-limiting-my-connection-please-help-193405/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/utorrent-config-143541/
Oh, yeah and do you have a brother? lol.

I will try again with my downstairs PC that is wired to the router. Idk about the WEP and all that stuff, how can I check? I know I can get in the router settings from 192.168.1.1 I have the WRT54G linksys router.

I will try again with my downstairs PC that is wired to the router. Idk about the WEP and all that stuff, how can I check? I know I can get in the router settings from 192.168.1.1 I have the WRT54G linksys router.

When I had the WRT54G, I used the MAC address filtering feature built in to the router's firmware. Its better than nothing and it didn't slow down my connection speed. I never could get wap to work and the wep caused connection problems so that's why I went with the MAC. I even bought a new external card and couldn't get wap to work. A good step in securing any router is to add or change the password to prevent unwanted entry. Another way to diagnose easily(if its a laptop) is connect to the internet on a friends connection to see if its the computer itself or the hardware your connecting through.

try another test?

how about Network Downloads : NetStat Live /// AnalogX

nsl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom