IE9 Platform Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright so i downloaded this a while ago to check out some of the stuff that IE9 is going to be able to do. Lets just say that if everything is true on what they show, IE9 will be the best browser on the net. Although it wont have the functionality of extensions and addons that Chrome and Firefox has.

But i figured out that you can use this as a regular browser. I am currently using it to type this up!

So i have run it through some paces already. First thing was to try it out on Facebook with some of the games i run. MY GOODNESS this thing is FAST. It loads pages faster than any browser i have used. Even with heavy flash based sites and games on facebook, it still is running faster than any browser. It is also using far less resources.

Right now i have both Chrome open to TF and Ie9 open to TF. Chrome is using an insane amount. Just over 250MB. Of course alot of that is extensions i have running at the same time. But IE9 is under 30MB.

Page loads are under a second. That may not seem fast and some are probably saying that is normal for you, but it isnt for me. To load TF in Chrome it can take about 3-5 seconds. So IE9 preview has shaved off around 4 seconds if not more of load time.

Facebook loads in under a second. The games load in just under a second. That is fast for me. Some games can take up to a minute to load the flash needed for them. So IE9 is loading so much faster!

Funny thing i find about all of this is that IE9 passes the HTML5 and CSS3 tests fully. But it fails the Acid3 test with a score of 55 out of 100. So riddle me this, how can it be that a browser that is using the latest standards out right now, still fail one of the most notorious tests for browser standards? Seems really odd to me that a browser can pass HTML5 and CSS3 but fail the Acid test. Goes to show that maybe those tests arent all they are made out to be.

Here's a good read on the Acid3 and IE9

IE9, standards, and why Acid3 isn't the priority

This dedication to HTML5 does not, however, mean that Microsoft is going to devote considerable effort to, for example, the SunSpider benchmarks or the Acid3 test. As the browser develops, the scores in those tests will likely improve (it currently gets 55/100, a marked improvement on IE8's 20/100), but they're not the number one priority. Acid3 is a scattergun test. It's not systematic—you can implement a high proportion of a particular specification and not pass the test, or a much lower proportion but still pass—and though many of the features it tests are useful, that's probably not the case for everything, and it's certainly not testing the one hundred most useful HTML5 features or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom