IE8 Beta released to public

Status
Not open for further replies.
IE8 Beta 1 is hte first step from Microsoft to make the browser mroe compliant. It is the first browser from Microsoft to pass the Acid2 test and that is what this one is really about. You download, install it and see how badly broken the sites are and report them. So that Microsoft can make sure to nitify them of changes that need to be made to look correctly in the browser when it gets released.

This is a pure Beta. This is not like the Firefox 3 beta where you can use it daily. This is for hardcore Beta testers who can debug crashes and web page glitches. There is a topic toward the end of this page that says IE8 Beta 2 coming soon.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f50/internet-explorer-8-beta-2-coming-soon-176060/

Wait for that release before you really try it.

Hopefully the beta 2 won't trash XP here like the first one did. I still have that one as a mystery since even MS mouse software won't work when selecting the correct model and still seeing a two basic?

Is that a question you want answered? Cause you know my answer will be your system had some tweaks or somethign done to it that did this. I have used IE8 on several machines and have not come across anything like you have.

I found it rather odd here as well since I can usually revert back from any beta version and never run into any hassles. That and the problem being seen with the MS mouse software leaves me with another option of simply wiping the XP drive and starting fresh.

I'll likely remove ubuntu 8.04 from the Vista primary and see that go on the XP drive since I am finding myself hardly even looking at XP at this point. I only use XP when I have a video project to work on there anyways until I find the right Vista version.

You have to wonder sometimes. It certainly seemed that way all too much with IE 6 due to all the vulnerabilities that saw.

Is IE still hindering web development? :cool:

Actually if you have seen anything about IE8 Beta 2 then no. Not really anymore. It maybe the last browser to comply to the Acid2 test but it will comply. Just as Firefox 3 finally complies itself. Opera has since version 9 so no biggie. :p

IE will finally be on level playing ground more or less as it will finally allow for websites to be coded the same for every browser.:p

Apple's Safari 3.1 would be far better if that supported active x controls instead of having to go back and open an IE window to look at something. But eventually they will get around to standardizing things...:confused: some day we hope. :D

I highly doubt that Safari will ever support ActiveX. As that is a direct port of the Apple version. Just like Quicktime and iTunes. That would mean they would have to support ActiveX on OS X. Wont happen.

Plus Safari is buggier than IE8...

I didn't find any bugs here besides the lack of active x support. But that's no surprise anyways since it is Apple and not MS. Most of the time the active x controls are to allow the ads on sites to run anyways instead of seeing small white blocks with red Xs in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom