IE won't play video or sound from web page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wease

Solid State Member
I've been struggling to figure this out on my desktop PC or months, and I've finally just thrown up my arms and am going to ask for help. IE won't launch any video or music from the browser page and play it embedded nor will it try to launch another application that will play it. If I right click and select save as, I can save video and sound files to my desktop and launch them from there. However, if I attempt to launch video or sound from my browser, I get:

Internet Explorer cannot display the web page

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems​

The twisted thing is that my laptop works fine, and other browsers on the desktop PC will work fine as well. Can someone tell me where or what in the IE settings is causing this?

Hello,

Have you checked to make sure you have the latest versions of:

Flash, Java, Shockwave, WMP Plugin

It should be one of those that is not updated and working correctly.

Cheers,
Mak

I would go with a plugin issue here, also.
What version of IE are you running?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm running IE 7. I thought it might be a security setting or plug-in, but I'm not sure which. The only video or audio format my IE will launch (embedded or external) are Quick Time extensions. Otherwise, clicking on a link that contains video or audio results in the error message "Internet Explorer cannot display this web page." The strange thing is that a fresh install of Windows and IE on a new PC doesn't have this issue either, and new installs wouldn't have any plug-ins installed either. My laptop worked fine from brand new, and machines I've built for other people work fine immediately after the install. I know it's something simple, but I can't figure it out. Could it be McAfee?

Tommy Boy,

It is not your place to question a user's preference. They will use what they want. Post to help resolve the issue or dont post. No need to suggest a different browser. There is a whole topic on it. If they want to use a different browser they will.

Wease,

It could be McAfee. I would check yoru settings.

Cheers,
Mak

Was this problem resolved? If not, try going to Internet Options-programs tab-set programs-default programs-coustom and select windows media player, check the box to allow access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom