IE 8 opens, then closes immediately

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Windows XP SP3. I have removed IE8, removed IE7 and then reinstalled. Same thing happens. It opens, then closes instantly. When you reopen it asks if you want to restore session. Either choice gets the same thing. IE shuts down. I installed Firefox for the user, however some apps just don't run correctly on anything but IE. Go figure. Any other ideas? Do I need to remove IE again and then clear all IE registry entries before reinstalling?

Windows XP SP3. I have removed IE8, removed IE7 and then reinstalled. Same thing happens. It opens, then closes instantly. When you reopen it asks if you want to restore session. Either choice gets the same thing. IE shuts down. I installed Firefox for the user, however some apps just don't run correctly on anything but IE. Go figure. Any other ideas? Do I need to remove IE again and then clear all IE registry entries before reinstalling?

Try reinstall flash player. It could be an IE addon that is causing the crash, not IE itself.

If you click the icon does IE show up? Do they have XP setup to install programs to anything but the default locations setup by Windows?

I have this issue with my install of Windows. But that is due to the fact that I moved all of my programs to another drive to save my SSD as much as possible. It still tries to open IE located on the C:\ drive even though the new location is E:\. So I have to manually open IE, then click the links to get them to open properly. Can be a hassle at times, but if it allows for my SSD to operate for longer it is one I will deal with.

No I have not tried a different user account. I will do that today hopefully.

I would think that a fresh IE install would not have any add ons other than defaults.

All installations go to default locations.

Fixed. Turns out he had some stupid toolbar he had installed and tried to remove but it didn't remove correctly. Was a pain to get cleaned out though. I wish our corporate honks would let me control GPOs...

Back
Top Bottom