IE 7 Released!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Security experts have found a weakness in Internet Explorer 7 that could help crooks mask phishing scams, the type of attack Microsoft designed the browser to thwart.

IE 7, released last week, allows a Web site to display a pop-up that can contain a spoofed Web address, security monitoring company Secunia said Wednesday. An attacker could exploit this weakness to trick people into believing they are on a trusted Web site when in fact they are viewing a malicious page, Secunia said in an alert.

"This makes it possible to only display a part of the address bar, which may trick users into performing certain unintended actions," Secunia said. The company has created a demonstration that shows a Microsoft Web address in the pop up window, but displays content from Secunia.

http://news.com.com/Spoofing+bug+found+in+IE+7/2100-1002_3-6129626.html?tag=nefd.top

Warez Monster said:
Security experts have found a weakness in Internet Explorer 7 that could help crooks mask phishing scams, the type of attack Microsoft designed the browser to thwart.

IE 7, released last week, allows a Web site to display a pop-up that can contain a spoofed Web address, security monitoring company Secunia said Wednesday. An attacker could exploit this weakness to trick people into believing they are on a trusted Web site when in fact they are viewing a malicious page, Secunia said in an alert.

"This makes it possible to only display a part of the address bar, which may trick users into performing certain unintended actions," Secunia said. The company has created a demonstration that shows a Microsoft Web address in the pop up window, but displays content from Secunia.

http://news.com.com/Spoofing+bug+found+in+IE+7/2100-1002_3-6129626.html?tag=nefd.top

And I want to rush out and get this why? I will wait as I said before. Looks like I have good reason.

These types of things will happen throughout the life of the product, EVERY product. If you really mean what you say, you will never use IE7 or FF

IE7 in use

Well IE7 did detect and reject several pishing items, mostly from fake Bank details seeks which I tried experimentally to see if it worked.

I have installed IE7 on my default drive with 48 different programs and have had no problems at all.

If the Secunia flaw is in Outlook Express then I suggest trying out Eudora or Incredimail.

Another IE 7 Pop-Up Flaw Found
It looks like another IE7 pop-up flaw has been found. I am not sure what they mean by “visiting a trusted site that opens a new window with malicious code” or who would even enter their CC info into a pop-up window in the first place but all this info is still good to know.

The browser flaw could affect users who visit a trusted site by opening a pop-up window in that site but containing malicious code. This is the second IE 7 flaw that has been discovered since Microsoft released the browser two weeks ago. Last week, a security flaw was discovered in IE 7 that could spoof the address of a pop-up window.

http://news.com.com/Another+IE+7+po...covered/2100-1002_3-6130614.html?tag=nefd.top

Analysts are a joke IMO.......

Analysts Urge IE7 Upgrade?
There should be a TV show called “Analysts Say The Damnedest Things” just so we can tune in once a week and laugh at the bizarre stuff they say.

"When in doubt, upgrade." That's what Forrester analysts Natalie Lambert and Colin Teubner are saying about installing Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 7 Web browser.

I have had IE7 on a Vista Beta box forever and Firefox 2.0 went on it too as soon as it was released (I believe in the dual browser theory) but I would seriously recommend against the “when in doubt, upgrade” line of thinking for anything.

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13300DMLYKNL

Those analysts make me LMAO.

Seriously though, I installed IE7 with no problems and was quite happy with the new look. However, it seems to be taking notably longer to open pages over the past few days. I may be new to the forums but I have been using the Internet since 1993. At first I thought it might be the phishing tool so I turned it off since I generally visit the same trusted places. My connection is a 22Mb one so it is not my ISP. Just visiting pages such as www.bbc.co.uk is becoming very frustrating. Never had this issue with IE6 and am considering going back to it. Tried the tabs but again this seemed to slow things down. Thought that would be a good idea but so far I am far from convinced.

Also, since I have installed IE7 a couple of games seem to keep crashing for no apparent reason. Have never had problems with them before. Could just be a coincidence but it does leave you wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom