IE 6 keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodinghead75

Beta member
I'm having problems browsing and I have no idea what's causing them, so I will give as much information as possible:

I have a Compaq Deskpro Evo D300 workstation
P4, 1.5ghz
256 MB RDRAM
18.2 GB SCSI HD
GeForce FX5200 128mb
U.S. Robotics 56K Fax Win Internal

I am running Windows 2000 Pro, which I recently did a clean install with to attempt to fix some problems, and this did not help the following issues:

My browser frequently closes itself with a popup message that IE has encountered an error and will close.

This happens whether I use NetZero or AOL 9.0 I checked the IE version and it says 6.0

Also, I frequently get an error message that says "3cmlinkw.exe will be shut down" and my modem stops working. I realize this is part of the modem drivers, so the issue might be with my modem.
I don't understand why though, because I tried updateding the drivers and it didn't seem to make any difference. This happens even if I use Firefox.

Also, I do not seem to have problems when I am playing games online; I can play for hours usually with no problems, only when I am browsing or downloading.

I hope somebody has some idea of what my problem could be, before I go out and buy a new modem; I want to make sure that there is no other solution, especially if my modem is not the problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom