I.E 7 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason74

Solid State Member
I'm am fairly new to the computer world. I hope you will tolerate some basic beginner questions.

I recently purchased a laptop with Internet Explorer 7. When ever I go to "W3 schools" and go to their media tutorial, my browser will not play any of their samples. I only get a message that says the page cannot be displayed. However, when I use our home computer with IE6 it will play all of their samples.

It there an error with my browser or is this just part of the change that happened with IE7?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

my browser will not play any of their samples.
How do the samples play? Are they Flash, Shockwave, WMP, QuickTime, Real Player? you may just need to download a plugin.

Since it plays on your home computer, but not your laptop, it could be a setting, a program set as default, or a missing plugin.

ben_ben, either be helpful or shut up.

i was helpful if he used one of those it would automaticaly find and install the plugins.......moron

Obviously he wants to use IE7, ben_ben, which is his choice. He is asking for help with IE7, not finding an alternative. And watch your mouth... it'll take you where you really don't want to go.

Jason, download and install the following on your laptop:
Flash Player - Windows Marketplace: Product details for Flash Player
Shockwave Player - Windows Marketplace: Product details for Shockwave Player
QuickTime - Apple - QuickTime - Download (choose the option without iTunes, and uncheck the boxes under Sign Up)
Real Plyer - RealOne Player download

If your lappy came with IE7, it is probably Vista, and should have WMP.

Just don't let any of the players (QT, Real) set themselves as default. Set QT to play QT movies, and leave Real Player with no defaults.

Here's the current situation... All video links work fine. Typically it accesses my WMP for video. However, when ever I click any kind of audio link (MP3, Midi, etc) it will not access a plug in. Instead it tries to go to the address as if it is a page. Then it give me the same page it gives when it cannot find an address.

WMP was my default MP3 Player, however, when I just downloaded RealPlayer, I went ahead and made RealPlayer my default just to see if it would work, however, the same thing keeps happening.

I read another post yesterday from someone else who is more or less having the same problem with IE7. So I wonder if it is not an IE7 thing versus my own personal issue with my computer.

If everyone is convinced that FireFox is the way to go, I am not opposed to trying it out, however, I am curious as to why I am having this problem with IE7.

Thank for your time,
Jason

I don't use IE7, so I don't know. You could PM Warez Monster... he's a real MS whiz.

I use Firefox, and I love it. I have my extremely customized to work just like I want it to work and look just like I want it to look. I usually preach Firefox to everybody... but after being around a few Mac heads, I realized how irritating that must be (I know I got tired of hearing Mac thid and Mac that). Now, I'm more laid back about it.

Give it a try, and realize that basic Firefox is a browser. You customize it with extension (which are free, unlike some plugins for IE).

O.K. I downloaded Firefox. It actually seems noticably faster (or is this just my imagination?). However, I do have one question for now. When ever I try to open a link that requires Flashplayer, it tells me that I need to download it, however, it is already on my computer. How can I get Firefox to recognize that I do have Flashplayer?

Thank for your help,
Jason

just downlaod it it is very small and it will work lol
im not 100% sure but it si a firefox extension so it is written differently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom