How Does the Internet Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
This may seem like a simple question but this is coming from a computer science student. I'm curious as to how it works. The internet is a huge network of computers but I fail to see why we have to connect to an ISP to get on the internet. All an ISP does is provide us with IP addresses and act as a bridge between your computer and the internet. Why is it there? Why can't we just plug straight into the internet?

you know ive wondered that myself.. i feel like were all being hoaxed to buy some service that if were smart enough we could just do ourselves....

in very basic terms, the ISP does all the organizing/sorting/networking for you...not to mention the actual service.

An analogy to your question would be why cant we just plug into the network without using a router.

Just doesn't work that way. I'm sure someone else can explain it in much more detail

It's a series of tubes. :p

I thought that was popcorn mariachi?

>>Anyway, IPs, networks, the internet in one way or another is one someone elses computer hard drive SOMEWHERE in the world. IPs make it easier for there big network to allow the fastest connection to their hard drives, thus making browsing on different connections faster or slower. I think were all identified by our ip addresses, even if you were to track your own ip it will more than likely link you back to the service provider in your area(mine is cox in vegas, so it links to one of the buildings downtown).

You wouldn't believe it, but, alot of time has been invested into fiber optic lines and cable lines from point a to point b. While not everyone is directly 'connected' to each other, I wonder, where do the comapnies get 'there' internet from?

Like, if were connecting to the internet from home or a wifi connection, what does the company down the way connect to? that is something that truly puzzles me. but, if we were all to do the internet on our own, there would be a kind of relay device in our pc's. Basically, someone could dial a number which identifies the information that our computer is broadcasting and view files or 'webpages' our computer hosts. Shortly after connecting to our computer, person a could talk to 'me' on my computer exclusively.

It's ideas like this which keep other people from making money, granted everyone else would need some kind of HTML experiance or run across a bit torrent network, with a number of people in the area who are 'seeders' providing a strong signal to their information while others distribute, look or otherwise comment on said information.

There are servers that are dedicated to this sort of thing, where they drop fiber lines in the ground and the company simply plugs in to them to make it available to you. I don't know, my head hurts.

For anyone who didnt get the series of tubes joke, google it. Its quite a funny story, and why i hate politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom