How to block certain sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

f_lightning2001

Baseband Member
Okay, my boss has asked me to keep other employees from accessing facebook. I went into internet properties and added it to the blocked sites list. I also went into the registry and disabled the internet options so they couldn't disable it. Well that works fine and dandy as long as they don't add and administrator account. Is there anyway that I can disable them from adding an account to the computer? She added the account and then deleted it before she left. We don't have a server so Active Directory is not an option. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do. Thanks in advance. Robert.

Sorry. I forgot to add that there is 2 computers running WinXP Pro. Let me know if you need to know anything else about them.

Well if they add firefox, your work arounds broke.

You might be able to do it at your router.

With the software that we use, we have to use IE(unfortunately). I thought about the router, but then all the quests would not be able to get on facebook as well. Sorry I forgot to mention that it is for a hotel. Thanks again.

OpenDNS. Google it. :D You can use the free version, or get your boss to go with the corporate version.

You can't work around what never comes to the network.

As far as the OpenDNS, will that stop her even if she opens up a new Admin account?
Yes. OpenDNS allows you to set filters at the DNS server level, before the traffic ever comes into your network. The only way around that is to use a different Internet connection, or access the account with the username and password you set up. ;)

Just a thought, but cant you make it so that her account is a limited account and she is not able to create a new user account? I mean it shouldnt be necessary for everyone to have Admin accounts right? Only the Manager and It people should have Admin accounts anyways. Giving everyone else a limited account should still allow for the job to be done.

Just a thought, but cant you make it so that her account is a limited account and she is not able to create a new user account? I mean it shouldnt be necessary for everyone to have Admin accounts right? Only the Manager and It people should have Admin accounts anyways. Giving everyone else a limited account should still allow for the job to be done.

That was my thought exactly, however my boss doesn't want to change the way anything else is. Since there is only one person is at the front desk at a time, they all share the same account which is an admin account. I know, I know, I have already talked to her about this and she is insistent on keeping everything the same. Thanks for everyone's input. After toying around with some of the stuff on my laptop, I think I will go with editing the host file. It seems the easiest to me. Thanks again for all your input.
Robert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom