Hotspot shield safe to use? Any experience?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WascawwyWabbit

Beta member
hey, while I was surfing the web, I've found one free vpn by name AnchorFree Hotspot Shield and if you go to 'news' section, you can see many biggggggggggggg guns recommending that software. PC World has also reviewed good. Read here: Hotspot Shield | Internet Tools Download | PCWorld

My experience? Here ya go! Just installed a day before and it was trouble free (use Adblock Plus and No Script to get rid of ads) and it didn't slow down the connection. But after a day, I had few problems. At first, web pages didn't open. When I placed cursor on the network icon (which is in the system tray) I was shocked! Sent: 0 bytes, received: 0 bytes! Clicking it to view didn't work. System froze suddenly. I was forced to remove my data card. Like that, it happened for few times. After ending 'networks' (?!) with the help of task manager, I was able to bring my computer to normalcy. Till now, it is connecting as usual: good! Scanned with my Avira Premium Security Suite and it didn't detect anything bad.

But is it safe to use? What do you think?

Note: I'm not using for any illegal purposes. Just to add extra protection as it encrypts data. Can I log into my email account etc while using it? Safe to use?!

Thank you! :)

I wouldnt trust hotspots in the first place. Even if i did, i would use more built in tools than 3rd party tools. Like making sure your have to have a password to access your PC from a network. Saves you more trouble than having to worry about 3rd party software trying to work properly.

I wouldnt trust hotspots in the first place. Even if i did, i would use more built in tools than 3rd party tools. Like making sure your have to have a password to access your PC from a network. Saves you more trouble than having to worry about 3rd party software trying to work properly.

Thanks ADMIN!! Jokerrrrrrrr! :D I thought you are gonna reply! You replied! wow! :) Yeah, but I don't use hotspots very much. Just to add an extra layer to the security since I'm a lil bit Paranoid ! :D

So, anyone else tried? Satisfied? If it is a fake one, many big guns like CNN, Fox News, Lifehacker, NY Times, etc wouldn't have recommended it. Yeah, it is ad supported, but one can block such with adblockers as I've already mentioned. It won't block like vevo.com which forces to disable all adblocking plug ins!

Those places could have easily recommended it due to them being paid for advertising by them. So their opinions i would take with a grain of salt.

If you are that paranoid, why would you use hotspots at all instead of just waiting till you had a secure network to connect with? Seems kinda silly if ya ask me.

"Those places could have easily recommended it due to them being paid for advertising by them. So their opinions i would take with a grain of salt." well, but if they recommend genuinely?!

"If you are that paranoid, why would you use hotspots at all instead of just waiting till you had a secure network to connect with? Seems kinda silly if ya ask me."

I DON'T USE HOTSPOTS OFTEN!

Basically, I'm thinking to use "Just to add extra protection as it encrypts data. Can I log into my email account etc while using it? Safe to use?!" because I thought it encrypts data. From it's website: http://hotspotshield.com/download/afrb/AnchorFree-Hotspot-Shield-One-Page-Sell-Sheet.pdf "Auto encrypts and protects inbound / outbound Internet traffic (EMAIL, instant messaging, VOIP calls, WEB SURFING, etc.) as it's transmitted thru the air" Hey, wi-fi is okay, what about others? Does it encrypt 'em too?! I don't want hackers to steal my personal information. E.g. Yahoo! Mail encrypts only log in/log out pages. Inbox etc. are not encrypted unlike Gmail. I don't like clients. Tried JAP before using Hotspot Sheild. But I couldn't stop belly laughing. My connection gives downloads at a 130-150 kBps but i get 6 kBps?! o_0 wow! :D

UPDATE: "But after a day, I had few problems. At first, web pages didn't open. When I placed cursor on the network icon (which is in the system tray) I was shocked! Sent: 0 bytes, received: 0 bytes! Clicking it to view didn't work. System froze suddenly. I was forced to remove my data card. Like that, it happened for few times. After ending 'networks' (?!) with the help of task manager, I was able to bring my computer to normalcy. Till now, it is connecting as usual: good! Scanned with my Avira Premium Security Suite and it didn't detect anything bad."

I think it is not a 'hotspot shield problem' because I can use my PPPOE connection without any problem. When I reinstalled the application, the connection (data card's) is worry free till now fortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom