High Speed Internet Problems, need help in a big way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellasweet

Baseband Member
So I got high speed internet like a month ago. I upgraded from 56K. But my signal keeps dropping and its really annoying.

I asked around on some other boards and they said my cable i was using was too long. It was 50 feet long. So I got a three foot cable, drilled through a wall and all was good again.

It stopped dropping the signal for like two weeks and I thought I had fixed the problem.

But yesterday afternoon the signal was dropped again and this time it never came back on. I tried every trick in the book. I uninstalled the modem, reinstalled it, messed with the wires and so on and do forth but to no avail.

So I finally called cox communications ( my internet provider) and talked to the technicians. They said that they were not getting a signal from the modem at all and had to send a tech out to look at it.

The lady on the phone also told me to un plug it and plug it back in. I did that and nothing happened.

So, right when I hung up the phone with her the modem came back on!

I'm pissed off how randomly this happens, it worked great for two weeks and then cuts out again, I dont know what is happening and I am 90% sure its nothing wrong with my computer.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong ?

could also try updating the firmware on the modem. ask your isp about this.

does it have a usb plug in on your modem, maybe try that.

ZeroX said:
could also try updating the firmware on the modem. ask your isp about this.

does it have a usb plug in on your modem, maybe try that.

Yeah it has a usb port, thats what I use to connect. Some people are saying thats what the problem is. Said to get a cat5 cable, whatever that is...

Warez Monster said:
sounds like to me its the modem, i would return in for a new one asap

Heh, I already returned one modem that was busted. The isp gives me a choice between a linsys or a motorola surfboard modem, so I guess i may have to just go get another brand on my own

well give cat5 a shot then. it's also known as a network cable. i think most people use that so i would give that a shot.

since they just sent you a modem i'm sure the firmware is up to date, so no need for that.

ZeroX said:
well give cat5 a shot then. it's also known as a network cable. i think most people use that so i would give that a shot.

since they just sent you a modem i'm sure the firmware is up to date, so no need for that.

Ok so is a cat5 the same as an ethernet cable or just similar?

Cat 1-6 is all considered ethernet Cable they just have differen't properties, but all YOU need is cat 5.

and 50 Ft is not to long for cat 5, Cat 5 has a signal length of 328 feet.

New modem should fix it.

Ste said:
Cat 1-6 is all considered ethernet Cable they just have differen't properties, but all YOU need is cat 5.

and 50 Ft is not to long for cat 5, Cat 5 has a signal length of 328 feet.

New modem should fix it.

Ok got it

The modem came with an ethernet cable and I tried it out and it didnt work. Do I need a seperate ethernet card?

I ask because ther is an ethernet port on my comp but since that didnt work i have no idea

Plug your ethernet cable into modem, plug other end to computer (you alread did)

-check for internet

-if none, turn OFF the computer and reset modem (until all lights are on/flashing)

-Check for internet

-if none, turn off both internet and modem for 2 minutes.

-Check for internet

-if none, call up the company and ask why, I called once and had them manually reset my modem from the company, I stopped losing my signal from then, sometimes your ISP might just be upgrading their servers, last year, over 2 weeks we lost connection for about 6 times and over 2 hours each time. Then we got faster internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom