Help! dual ethernet dead end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Bleh. I've tried everything I can think of but no luck.

in a nutshell, im trying to connect my wii to the internet using the dual gigabit ethernet ports on my mobo (gigabyte dq6).

problem: just doesnt work lol. Doesn't recognize the wii is even there and no clue how to let it.

I've got all the parts. USB to ethernet adapter for wii, some good ethernet cable, dual ethernet ports on my mobo.

my internet is set up as this:
Internet (outside) > Cable modem > PC
and i basically want to just add Wii after PC (use pc as router, what other purpose would there be for having dual ethernet)
The cable modem only has one ethernet jack so just using it as the router wont work.
going out to buy a router is pointless considering my pc has two jacks.

using vista utimate x64.

i couldn't come up with anything in google and im completely lost lol. any help is much appreciated.

edit~ on a side note i tried enabling ICS (internet connection sharing) but it didn't change anything. The 'LAN2' (representing the 2nd ethernet port) just says network cable unplugged. The jack on the back also isnt lit up like the other one. Yes it's plugged right into the adapter which is plugged into the Wii.

nevermind just bought a router.

To answer your question. A router was the only way to go. There would be no way to use yoru 2nd port to hook up a Wii.

It can be used as a input. You can take 2 lines and split the duty of them. Or get dual ISP hookups. But overall it is pointless. There isnt much a dual setup can be used for.

ah ic.

on a sidenote, wii still won't connect lol. looks like the adapter isn't compatible. don't know how many different ways there is to make one simple thing.

what a headache.

woulda been easier if it was wifi. wireless here is crap, noone dares get it. i can have a router 6 inches from what im trying to connect and the signal will be super weak if it even works at all. real lame.
wireless isnt an option but thanks. i just ordered a different adapter, proven to work. i shoulda read on it more the first time.
i shoulda known nintendo would limit compatability in order to make money selling their own overpriced adapters.

thanks mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom