Help!! Can't browse the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3kk0

In Runtime
I can't browse the internet without my browser crashing. Chrome, FireFox 3.0.1, IE 7, they all crash all the time! Doesn't matter if I'm typing an address, reading something on a page, it crashes!
I dual boot from Windows Vista and Ubuntu, so I tried running FF on Ubuntu and it still crashes (if that helps narrow down the problem any).
Can anyone please, please help me out? I've uninstalled and re-installed Flash and FF and everything still crashes.

It's crashed 4 times just writing this post. :eek:

Hoping for help,
-Cason

Is it just the browser that crashes or the whole computer? Any error messages other than "IE has encountered a problem"? Any other apps running in the background? Have you scanned for malware?

Is it just the browser that crashes or the whole computer? Any error messages other than "IE has encountered a problem"? Any other apps running in the background? Have you scanned for malware?

Yeah, something like that. The FF error says "Firefox has encountered a problem"...
The whole PC doesn't crash, simply the browser. I'll go scan for viruses/malware. Dunno when I did that last. :S

There is something seriously wrong with the machine if you boot into Linux and it is still affecting your Browsing. I dotn even think a HiJack This log will fix it. Not when it comes to Linux.

Sounds like a virus or trojan...

Try downloading another browser that is based on the Firefox 3 platform but was built by a third party.

There are tons of browsers other than that based off of Gecko.

Plus as he said this happened in Linux. Firefox would not crash cause of a trojan in Linux. That is why i am leaning toward hard drive corruption. Linux has very few viruses and trojans. Specifically ones that target browsers.

I could be wrong, it might not be crashing in Linux. Lemme go double check and make sure whether it does or not. I'm 90% sure I remember it crashing in Linux too though. I don't use it very often...
I'll post results here ASAP.

Btw, I have CCleaner, Adaware, AVG, and Spybot S&D all installed on my PC and updated.
I'll scan once more with AVG (haven't done so in a week). But I don't think it's malware related. I really don't know though...

Alright if it doesnt crash in Linux then it is a Windows based issue and we can work on it. If it does happen in Linux as well then you have a serious issue and possibly hard ware failure. So let us know.

Ok, while I'm checking out Linux, here's the other topic for my Hijackthis log.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f70/help-internet-184855/#post1457160

It's kinda silly actually.
I figured out what the problem was.
It has something to do with an Internet Filter on my PC. The problem should be fixed tomorrow. If it isn't I'll have to contact the filter's company and they'll resolve the issue.
The filter was installing some kind of Protocol Handler which was buggin out and making the internet crash.
Thanks so much for all the help. ^^

Edit: Long story short, the filter has a pop-up saying we need to re-purchase the filter within X amount of days.
My internet has been crashing since it's been popping up. Uninstalling that PH with LSPfix deleted part of the filter, so I made the connection between the crashes and the filter.
I assume the problem will go away after the filter is re-newed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom