Google drive icon on desktop isn't connected to my Google account - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Internet Software and Browsers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Google drive icon on desktop isn't connected to my Google account

I have a Google drive icon on my desktop. I must have set this up a year or two ago. When I click on it a folder opens up and I can see if you filed in there. This must have been done when I first set this up just to experiment.

I'm now actually trying to use Google Drive. However when I log into my Gmail account and then go to the drive I don't see these files in there. It seems like this icon is not connected to my Google account at all. Is there a way to see what this is actually connected to and how I can access these files on another device?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Google drive icon on desktop isn't connected to my Google account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan View Post
I have a Google drive icon on my desktop.
It seems like this icon is not connected to my Google account at all. Is there a way to see what this is actually connected to and how I can access these files on another device?
https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

thanks. That link opens up my own Google Drive, yes. However it doesn't tell me what the Google Drive icon on my desktop is linking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalju View Post
Old 11-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Did you open the settings to the Drive app? Right click the tray icon if it's running and open up the settings/properties.

Or just uninstall/reinstall and associate whichever account you want.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

It's not an app it's an icon on the PC desktop. When I double-click on it (just did) it opens what seems to be an explorer window. Though the icon in the start bar doesn't have a folder icon the way most explorer windows do.

This is the path that opened:
C:\Users\BigDan\Google Drive

You want the best? Here I am
bigdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan View Post
It's not an app it's an icon on the PC desktop. When I double-click on it (just did) it opens what seems to be an explorer window. Though the icon in the start bar doesn't have a folder icon the way most explorer windows do.

This is the path that opened:
C:\Users\BigDan\Google Drive
It's still an installed application. I have the Drive Sync app installed on one of my machines; there should be an icon in your icon tray by the clock.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

If you don't see anything online but do see it in the folder that the desktop icon opens then most likely you don't have the Google Drive application installed on your PC, you need that to do the sync between your computer and the cloud.

It's called Backup and Sync, you can download here: https://www.google.com/drive/download/

Make sure you leave the "auto start with windows" tickbox checked when installing

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now   Reply With Quote