Google drive icon on desktop isn't connected to my Google account

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I have a Google drive icon on my desktop. I must have set this up a year or two ago. When I click on it a folder opens up and I can see if you filed in there. This must have been done when I first set this up just to experiment.

I'm now actually trying to use Google Drive. However when I log into my Gmail account and then go to the drive I don't see these files in there. It seems like this icon is not connected to my Google account at all. Is there a way to see what this is actually connected to and how I can access these files on another device?

Did you open the settings to the Drive app? Right click the tray icon if it's running and open up the settings/properties.

Or just uninstall/reinstall and associate whichever account you want.

It's not an app it's an icon on the PC desktop. When I double-click on it (just did) it opens what seems to be an explorer window. Though the icon in the start bar doesn't have a folder icon the way most explorer windows do.

This is the path that opened:
C:\Users\BigDan\Google Drive

It's not an app it's an icon on the PC desktop. When I double-click on it (just did) it opens what seems to be an explorer window. Though the icon in the start bar doesn't have a folder icon the way most explorer windows do.

This is the path that opened:
C:\Users\BigDan\Google Drive

It's still an installed application. I have the Drive Sync app installed on one of my machines; there should be an icon in your icon tray by the clock.

If you don't see anything online but do see it in the folder that the desktop icon opens then most likely you don't have the Google Drive application installed on your PC, you need that to do the sync between your computer and the cloud.

It's called Backup and Sync, you can download here: https://www.google.com/drive/download/

Make sure you leave the "auto start with windows" tickbox checked when installing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom