FTP problems and extracting tarball

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
Hey guys, I have a question about why every 50 files or so the FTP client hangs up. This happens especially when I have many small files (2-3kb). It will be working fine then all the sudden when it give the STOR (filename) command, it will just stop working and say the host failed to respond or something like that. Is that a problem with the FTP client or the host? I'm thinking the latter... but oh well.
Anyway, a possible workaround would be to upload a tarball of the files. Is there a way to extract it while maintaining the directories and everything? I know the command in linux, but I don't know how to execute that on a webserver that I don't have shell access to. (I'm paying for one somewhere in california)
Also, that brings me to another point. How hard would it be or what kind of expertise would it take to set up my laptop as a webserver? I'm aware that residential upload speeds suck basically, but I'm prepared to take a 125 kb/s download speed nerf.
But for now, most importantly, is it possible to extract a tarball without shell access? What kind of menu would it be in if I can do it?

BUMP!
Bump.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom