Firefox Surpasses One Billion Downloads Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Firefox Surpasses One Billion Downloads Friday

Congratulations to Mozilla and Firefox for passing the one billion downloads milestone on Friday. CNET takes a look at the achievement and why the number is only part of the story. About the only thing preventing FF from being my primary browser is a lack of threaded support. I absolutely LOATHE losing the entire browser just because a single tab crashes or hangs.

But lest Firefox fans get too carried away with their success, there's another number that shows what Mozilla is up against. According to a source familiar with Microsoft's statistics, IE 8 has been downloaded more than 200 million times in the last four months since its release. That's a fifth of the way to what Firefox achieved since Firefox 1.0 was released nearly five years ago. And Microsoft hasn't even begun pushing IE 8 through update in earnest yet.

Nice!
I don't think IE 7/8 counts as it's a pseudo-compulsory update with Windows :p

Now how about they give a real count. Like unique IP's that have downloaded instead of counting every single download. This is bogus in every way. I know i have said it before and i will say it again.

This number is garbage. They do not count unique downloads. So i can go there and get the same file over and over again and it will count everytime even though it is the same person downloading it. Never mind the fact that it may never be installed. I could jsut write a batch file to download the file, delete it and repeat and it could pad their numbers.

Give me a break. Until i see the real number of how many different IP's have downloaded this is nothing but junk. Just trying to boast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom