Firefox and spybot not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
So for the first time in about a year a booted up my aging hp ze5300 cause i thought it'd be nice to be able to browse the web while on vacation. Now i remember the thing was hardly worth it's own weight in gravel but it seems to be having the oddest issue. I assumed it was a virus at first but every scan i have run comes up clean. Another thought was perhaps a virus was at one time here and now gone but the damage was already done, like a rogue registry key somewhere.

Anyway, IE seems to work fine without a problem. But firefox, even updated to firefox3, will not connect to the web, just gives me a message saying it cannot find the server. Also, for whatever reason spybot and adaware cannot connect to their update servers. McAfee virus scan seems to be working fine and updates fine as well, although it's using my campus' update server rather than McAfee's.

Now most likely when i get home i'll be formatting the drive and either reinstalling XP or maybe just go ahead and go linux on this POS. But if anyone is aware of some quick fix options to make this a little less painful to use while im on vacation it would be much appreciated. I hate IE with a passion and miss firefox.

Hello,

Use the McAffee removal tool and get rid of that. ;) But seriously i would check the settigs on the McAfee to make sure it allows Firefox thru. Also check your firewall settings.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom