Firefox Issues

croSSeduP

In Runtime
I don't know where else to post this question. Firefox support is worthless. And I'm having a problem that seems to be happening to a lot of other people as well. Ever since the newest Firefox vers. my W7 machine crashes Firefox about every 5 minutes. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, or even if I'm running Firefox in safe mode, it crashes. It seems to happen most when it is trying to open a new web page, like - as one example of many - when I try to open my email. As soon as my inbox page starts to open, "crash". Anyone else having these issues? If I can't find a fix I'm probably going back to IE (yuck). My XP machines have no trouble with Firefox, so it might be some incompatibility that the braintrust at Mozilla overlooked. I tried Google chrome, downloaded it, installed it, but it will NOT open a web browser, so I quickly dumped that idea. One thing... Is it possible to fly all my bookmarks from Firefox over to IE, or do I just have to recreate them all? Peace all!

What version of Firefox are you using? I have used Firefox for many years and never had any problems.

Did you try reinstalling it?

I am a bit confused by what you mean when you say Chrome wont open a web browser. Considering that I have used it in the past 2 days alone not only in Windows 7 but Windows 8 and Ubuntu, I find that hard to believe.

This would lead me to believe that it is in fact nothing at all to do with your install of Firefox, but your OS install overall. Cause I can certainly say that 3 different OS's, one of which was only released 3 days ago, and Chrome works on them all just fine. Then it wouldnt be the core software but your install.

I had a similar problem, whenever I tried to open my firefox brower it took forever or would freeze up. Try deleting the prefetch cache file for Firefox fixed this. To do this, go to run on your start bar and type prefetch. In the window that opens, find the file that starts with the name firefox.exe and delete it. Done! A new prefetch file will be generated next time you start Firefox. Hope this helps

RE. Firefox reinstall - Did this twice while also deleting all Mozilla folders. No go.
Also, I was using Firefox 12.
RE. Chrome not opening - After installing Chrome I click the icon to open a browser and nothing happens. The hour glass shows up on my curser for a couple of seconds, then disappears. No web browser opens. If I go into task manager, no chrome process is running. That's what I mean.
RE. Prefetch thing - I have uninstalled and deleted everything related to Mozilla and Firefox at this point. I typed that word into the start bar search and the search turned up nothing. I guarantee that if I redownload and install Firefox 12 it will do the exact same thing it was doing before. Been there, done that. Right now I'm typing this message in using IE (which I hate, but at this point it appears that is all that is available to me).

Yup, so I redownloaded and reinstalled Firefox after uninstalling and deleting everything that had "Mozilla" or "Firefox" in its title, and it STILL crashes, even with all extensions disabled. If I type "prefetch" in the Start menu box nothing comes up that is called that. What next?

I just jettisoned Mozilla Firefox for the last time (uninstalled/deleted). I installed Google Chrome again and it seems to be working fine. Let's hope!

Back
Top Bottom