FireFox infected my computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, just go to the links in my signature for everything you need for security (except HiJack This) and while you are at www.majorgeeks.com look around and at firewalls and antivirus and download form there. I prefer it to www.download.com for the simple reason that I'm sure that stuff is clean from majorgeeks and I've gotten a virus from download.com (on spybot no less) Liz

I prefer it to www.download.com for the simple reason that I'm sure that stuff is clean from majorgeeks and I've gotten a virus from download.com (on spybot no less) Liz

Ooh, did not know this. Thanks for the heads-up, Liz. I owe you one.

rstones12 said:
As remarkable as that seems, have you ever done a online virus or trojan scan to make sure that you have not been infected.

well yeah. i run a scan if i feel the need from trend micro or where ever. i also have spyware tools. i just dont get infected. i know enough about pcs and how they work to keep myself clean. plus with a few apps we have written locally, nothing gets into my registry nor my pc without my knowing so i have no fear.

I have never used a firewall in the 9 years I have been computing. I have never had a problem except when I enabled fire/print sharing on my 98 box. I got attacked within the 15 minutes it took to go to the gas station and back. Anyway...I am with Major...FF is to blame.

Anyway...I am with Major...FF is to blame

And I have a CLEAN machine, and use Firefox...BUT I also know to keep my security tight. I am NOT silly enough to wander around online UNPROTECTED!

A False Sense of Security

National Cyber Security Alliance

The picture isn't any better for other threats: 80 percent of respondents were found to have some type of spyware on their systems. Only a third were running a firewall. Many with wireless networks were running them unencrypted.

But hey, only foolish newbies compute so carelessly, right? Wrong! On average, the survey respondents had been online for nearly seven years. Forty-two percent described themselves as intermediate or expert users. These are your friends, your neighbors, your coworkers—and you.

According to Symantec, if you connected an unprotected PC to the Internet in 2003, it would be attacked within 15 minutes. By 2004, that figure had dropped to 15 seconds. Don't take it personally. In many cases the whole process is automated, with your machine just another number in a range of targeted IP addresses.

So those of you who THINK you are safe are in good company...but don't blame a browser...look closer to HOME and in the mirror. Liz

Major you went to a site the links an active x code back to IE. they came in the back door. a firewall would have not let it happen.

back in the old days when netscape was my default browser and I visited those type of sites, I use to have my firewall pop up while browsing there and it would say " Do you want IE to access the internet? I check yes once and got 5 viruses. I clicked no ever since

I prefer it to www.download.com for the simple reason that I'm sure that stuff is clean from majorgeeks and I've gotten a virus from download.com (on spybot no less) Liz [/B]

i have been downloading off download.com for years and have never had a problem with a virus in any of there programs.

i think they do a great job of letting people know of any spyware in programs also.

there my fav download site
www.download.com

followed by
www.softpedia.com

but this whole firefox infected my computer thing doesn't make any sense at all.

EricB said:
Major you went to a site the links an active x code back to IE. they came in the back door. a firewall would have not let it happen.

ActiveX is "NOT" inherent with Firefox, as it is with IE. I'm not bashing IE, but I prefer Firefox.

Nuff Said on this topic for me.. :D

rstones12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom