Firefox 4.0 Beta.... Uhh memory hog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
So, I decided to use the beta version of firefox for fun, and I noticed some memory intensive applications being slowed a bit, I take a look at what is using what in task manager and FF 4.0 B8 and B9 both use 400mb+ of ram... Now, I have NO add-ons in EITHER version, and this is with two tabs, one for facebook, and another one for TF.

So, I am curious, does anyone else have this kinda issue with FF??? If it's the whole aero interface, then well, I am ditching FF, because that is ridiculous.

Right now I've got open Gmail, FB and TF, and it's using 290mb of ram. I've noticed that it goes well over 500mb sometimes. I'm not using any addons either, it's pretty much a fresh install of B9, and B8 did the same.

Has your computer frozen since installing B9? Mine's crapped out 4 times now, and I didn't have any issues prior to installing B9.

-Point of interest, I looked at some of the plugins, and disabling 2 nvidia 3d plugins that I had brought it down to 167mb usage.

It hasn't frozen, but with B9 and B8 running at the same time as Java PS3 server, it causes it to screw up and lag very often when im streaming to a PS3 or Xbox.

I do notice a LOT of Java/Flash based games or anything that uses either on my PC when FF is open is a bit, awkward or delayed.

I haven't noticed much in the way of lag on my connection. Not more than usual that is (stupid DSL doesn't go very fast anyway). I haven't done anything Java/Flash based, but I'll go play some games and let you know if I find anything skippy.

Correction to my last post, FF must also be using the same type of application, so java in and outside of FF at the same time, seems to be a bad idea. Dunno why it's doing this, makes no sense what so ever. Hopefully they fix this before final release.

I have said this for the longest time. I have a topic about it somewhere as well. I have seen Firefox use up to almost a full GB of RAM. I had it jump to 750MB with just 3 tabs open. Sadly there is no way to explain this or figure it out. It seems to be very system specific.

Alright you think thats bad...well in chrome when ever you open a new tab it puts a new process (in task manger).So its not that bad.But theres also something you can do to lower the ram of firefox,its called bar tab.What it does is if you have a tab you dont work it takes it off the mb:).Tell me if your interested in doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom