Firefox 3.5 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source Firefox 3.5 Final

The Mozilla Firefox development team has finished the final version of Firefox 3.5. The new version is currently distributed to all official mirror websites with the official announcement expected to hit the web later today. No download portal is currently offering the new version for download which is surely going to change in the next hours once they get notice of the new release.
Once the release has been officially announced it can be downloaded from the Mozilla website or by using the built in update checker in the web browser. Considering that the release of the third release candidate of Firefox 3.5 is just a few days ago it is likely that there are not many considerable changes in this version compared to the release candidate.

I have a few words i want to say to them. Firstly why make us WAIT 6 days for this???

If you use nightly Tester tools get the build information. It is from the 24th. that is the final version that they have hosted. So this was ready 6 days ago and they just decided to release it. Not that i have seen any difference since the RC3 Build...

Firefox 3.5 released

Get Firefox 3.5

Firefox 3.5 Features

It's toted as being twice as fast as Firefox 3, with over 6,000 add-ons available.

edit: oops... :) well, um, it's officially released now anyway...

Edit: results of a sunspider test.

Firefox 3.5:
Total: 1238.8ms +/- 2.8%
2nd Total: 1273.0ms +/- 1.8%

Safari 4.0.1:
Total: 2036.0ms +/- 2.1%
2nd Total: 899.2ms +/- 5.0%
hmmm, seems the first test was a dud, a third test got 976ms

I have a few words i want to say to them. Firstly why make us WAIT 6 days for this???

If you use nightly Tester tools get the build information. It is from the 24th. that is the final version that they have hosted. So this was ready 6 days ago and they just decided to release it. Not that i have seen any difference since the RC3 Build...

To test it ?

The same reason devs don't release game the second they complete the code, at a guess.

Yeah i know all about testing. But i also know you can recomplie it just as fast as well.

My point is that there is no major under the hood changes that would require 6 days of testing. This browser has been under the gun for how long now? They had 3 RC builds, which is unheard of for Mozilla. Now they release a build that is not any different than the final RC build. So what were they testing? Their download servers? Cause i certainly dont see any reason why they should have waited. Could have done it over the weekend and gotten even more downloads to boast all their claims...

RC3 was just that... a release candidate. Mozilla wanted to make sure they had the bugs ironed out.

With the way the browser wars are going it was probably a smart move. Mozilla can't afford to lose any market share because of a release flaw.

They have the final build for 6 days. It doesnt take that long to test a browser. I can fully test a OS in just about 3 days. Why would you need double that for a browser?

I mean i can install just about every application i am asked to, test to see if they work, mess with options and everything else, install games, play games, mess with system files and all that in about 3 days. Maybe more or less depending on how much time i get to work on the PC. If a OS can be done like that in 3 days, a browser shouldnt take much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom