Favourite Browser Poll

Best Home Theatre Receiver manufacturer ??

• Sony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Denon

• Yamaha

• harmon/kardon

• ONKYO

• Panasonic

• Kenwood

• Pioneer

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OIDanTheManIO said:
WHY?! What's so good about it? It's so vulnerable to attacks and everything...

-Dan The Man

because i know what the **** my comp is doing. with proper protection and security customization i dont worry over the vunerabilities.

Its not the app, its the user.

I don't DO auto updates because I will NOT put SP2 on my computer until April. And here is the reason:

This was posted in another forum on the 30th of August:
I got a brand new hard drive today so I was going from a FRESH install of XP Pro...nothing there but Windows XP Pro, and I had to install my keyboard. but that was the ONLY item I installed before installing the SP's and critical updates, cause I had burned them to cd.

Tried TWICE to install SP2 and crashed halfway thru. Had to uninstall it. Now this was with NOTHING on here but Windows XP Pro and my danged keyboard! And SP1a. And the other Critical Updates. Nothing ELSE! NOTHING. I did NOT have ANY other software INSTALLED so how in the blazes could it conflict with anything?

I gave up and will NOT install it until later. It may be here to stay but NOT at MY house or on my computer until much later. As far as I'm concerned SP2 IS A VIRUS! Liz

And the April date is from here: https://oem.microsoft.com/script/co...x?PageID=553126 but you have to be a System Builder to access the article or at least register in the System Builder program. Liz

csamuels said:
because i know what the **** my comp is doing. with proper protection and security customization i dont worry over the vunerabilities.

Its not the app, its the user.

OK, sorry, geez...

-Dan The Man

southernlady said:
I don't DO auto updates because I will NOT put SP2 on my computer until April.
Liz

i think there's a reg hack to block auto updates from installing sp2. Anyways, you could configure auto updates to let you choose which items you want to install.

I've installed sp2 on about 6 different setups and never had a problem. However, i turn off the xp firewall and disable the security alerts notifcation (in systray).

edit: because im curious did you get any errors when it crashed or did it freeze?

INTERNET EXPLORER IS RUBBISH WITH A CAPITAL R! I dunno y I put it as one of the options.It just came to my mind and I wrote it down.

Maybe you didn't have a problem but *I* did...and yes, there is a block, I tried it, it didn't take, so I just turned OFF auto updates.

And just because you didn't have a problem doesn't mean others won't. I frequent other tech boards as well, in fact that's where I got my hijack training and the amount of people who have had issues is absolutely amazing. And not all of the issues are *user error*. Even if there are some who would like to think that. Most of the log readers on one board won't even install SP2 themselves. They are either blocking as you say, have downloaded it and holding off on installation, or just not installing like I am...their theory is, *if it ain't broke, don't fix it*. Liz

It froze halfway thru the installation and would not complete the install process. When I did a control>alt> del to task manager, I had to reboot and ended up having to completely start over my reformat. You know how frustrationing that is?

I know they are giving me pieces of SP2 in dribbles and drabs as hotfixes and that's okay but I am not putting it on as a service pack. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom