Explorer & Netscape won't Downlaod Ebay and some other sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffybrown

Beta member
Hi everybody :

I have been experienceing the most infuriating problem:

Mainly Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.xpclnt_qfe.021108-2107 (but sometimes Netscape 7.1) will not download Ebay, yahoo and someother sites.

I am running Windows XP and have done the follewing :

SPYBOT
ADAWARE
CLEARED COOKIES
CLEARED CACHES
ENSURED CACHE was big enough
WINDOWS IS UP TO DATE
REINSTALLED EXPLORER

and other stabs in the dark !

My computer is an IBM 600E laptop.

It was an intermittent problem, then it seemed to work fine for a day or two and now I am back to the same problem.

Whenever I type in www.ebay.com it says it is trying to download it but when I check the connection it is seemingly idle. The Title bar says it is at eBay but that is probably from cache.

ANY help ?

Thanks in advance,

Maxine

Few questions:

1: are you on dial-up or cable/broadband?

2: do have kept strict security settings on Browser settings?

3: does it do will all sites?

1. We are on a dial-up
2. Security Settings are on the default setting on Windows XP
3. It's eBay, Yahoo, Niketown, usatoday and some others.

Most sites work fine.

We are running Norton systemworks 2003.

It's a mystery to me and I have checked all over this system.

Thanks for your help,

Maxine

hmm, these sites that ou have mentioned do store cookies on machine, and if they are having problems storing cookies, they show problem in openign sites.

have you restricted cookie download in either, IE settings or your Norton Security settings?

also, have u checked ur system on some other ISP? may be a possibility that your ISP's DNS is showing problems in fetching some domains.

The security settings in IE and Netscape have never been changed are at the default setting.

I treidn logging onto another ISP and it seems to be working now.

I called my ISP (GTC INternet) a few days ago ablut this and they said it had nothing to do with them.

Could you tell me what I should be asking them about when Ic all? I don't know what a DNS setting is or should be set at. Someone mentioned proxy settings too - are they relevent.

They had a program try and re-set my dialer for new numbers and I think it may have done something strange to my internet settings - but not the normal settings, it may have changed the "expert" settings that I need help with.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help !

Maxine

sorry for late reply, I just forgot I'm writing here as well,

anyway, sometimes it happens that the DNS of ISP doesnt works, DNS = Domain Name Server, which actually looks for IP addreses of the websites against the Domain NAme you enter into browser.

usually ISP will never give you this information as if this isnt a major fault (why should they effect their own market).

anyway, when ever you call ISP, as you told that this PC was woeking on other internet connection, means definately your original ISP is having problems.
and they'll think you as a novice, and will just tell you that your PC has fault :). be professional when you talk, they wont be able to raise their head.

just tell them, that you cannot access some sites, yours DNS isnt working, as of they say anythign against, tell them that you dont have any problem with your PC, as you have tested on other ISP and its working fine.

Get the service OK, or am cancelling the account :) (dont be harsh though)

Hi again!

I contacted my ISP and I'm happy to say my computer is working now 100%. Yipee!!

They made me delete their icon from my desktop and the connection info and then put it all in again fresh with a different dial-up number.

It was a good thing I was able to check my connection on another ISP as you suggested or I would have believed them when they kept saying it was my security settings or whatever....

So thanks for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom