The End of FireFox … So says Co-Founder

Status
Not open for further replies.
if firefox hadn't gotten so bloated it wouldn't have to be this way. plus they are behind now.

with IE8 having multiprocessing and improved support and better features, and chrome having multiprocess and being lean....

I think the fox may be ready to hibernate for a while.

IE has IEpro :) been pretty nice for me so far.

chrome can use some FF extensions with some tweaking.

Personally i prefer the add-ons, extensions and such that Firefox offers. It would take a lot for me to move elsewhere.
The thing is almost all of the major extensions that are used on Firefox, already have a Chrome port.

Here is their list.

Under Most Recent, Most Popular, and Top Rated there is 4,500 in each category. There is another 100 in the Featured. Granted some of them are repeats in each category, but still that is a decent amount of extensions for a browser that has only been officially supporting them for a little while now. They just started officially supporting Extensions in Janurary. So to have that many extensions in just under 5 months, is quite a lot.

The only downside is that each extension adds another chrome.exe process to your running processes as each one loads seperately from the browser itself. So if you have 30 extensions and 10 tabs open you have 40 active processes of chrome.exe in your task manager.

My big issue with Firefox stems from a problem they have had since version 2. The Memory Leak. It isnt so bad, but if you do just about anything with Flash, forget it. I have had over 2GB of my RAM used by Firefox with just 1 window running a Facebook game.

FF 1.5 FTW!!! it was awesome. I wish they would have left it alone after that and just did w3c related standards updates and security updates and left the core alone. it was perfect.

but now IE8 uses like 1/6th the ram FF uses and since I use wsrm to clean commit charge its nice for me. I set it for 512mb and I watch 4 YT vids and it kicks in. used to be 8 with the old layout! curse you youtube!

can't do it with ff tho :( since it don't multiprocess.

I had a whopping 40 tabs in IE and my ram usage was 650MB and commit was 2.2GB.

FF3.4 had commit of 4.5GB and 2.6GB RAM usage for the same tabs.

I highly doubt this is "the end" of firefox. Firefox is probably (just a guess of mine) the most popular open source application in the world and won't go away just because it's not the best browser in the opinion of some.

can't do it with ff tho :( since it don't multiprocess.

Actually, Firefox does do multiprocess as of 3.6.4. Flash still likes to crash off and on but it no longer brings down the whole browser, even the whole tab. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom