Embarq problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic tofu

Fully Optimized
embarq...the phone service people seem to be hijacking browser redirects via dns...

I like using Live Search...but I can't. This is sort of a hijacking, but it's done by the phone company. Anyone know how to prevent it from happening?

Not an isolated occurence:

EMBARQ Hijacks Browser Search Capabilities - dslreports.com

http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2007/11/23/why-is-embarq-hijacking-my-dns/

I tried the ipconfig thing but still hijacked

bastages, this is invasive!

edit: and oh yeah, as some will note...the opt out thing doesn't work for everybody

doesn't look it...
I know how to customize that myself ;)

it's the search function...I work out of a home office and the broadband provider is Embarq. They are evidently blocking use of searching, at least with Microsoft live. They redirect it to...

Website Suggestions

so basically a hijack, but not done via software and done by the provider

So can you not remove their software? What about going thru a proxy or something?

This is a first time i have heard of a ISP hijacking. Of course with all sorts of ISP's now throttling and that i wouldnt be surprised if it happens more.

no software being used :D
reading that site I posted to, seems like verizon is doing it too
it's a hardware hijack i guess

that embarq page shows a yahoo link, so guessing that's their partner. I will see if it blocks using google search too, tomorrw :D

these telecoms...they have a government backed monopoly and still try to milk us for more ;p

I know people on Verizon FiOS and that service doesnt hijack you like this. Gratned you have to isntall their software which is totally lambasted with this junk. But you can run your own IE/Firefox.Opera without it being jacked.

well that's the curious part....it looked like they were slowly "migrating" this behaviour...a month ago, we'd get an occasional embarq page...but now it's all embarq

currently, at home, I am not being jacked...I wonder if Vista is helping me out on this part and preventing it. I sadly have embarq as my home phone service...this makes me really want to get a different phone provider, but not sure if I actually can :p

Well remember Vista has the higher security for things like this compared to XP. So yes Vista would block this. ;)

Tiscali UK (My ISP) have replaced the default 404 page with their own custom page. Go through an IP proxy, everything is fine.

I think all ISP's are doing it, 404 pages, search...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom