Email Headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if it was possible to trace back an ip address from an email header to where the server originates from? Not as in the exact location of the where the email was sent (lets be real here, we're not in the movies), but just of which country the email originated in.

For example,
If someone says they're in England and they log onto their Yahoo and send you an email, is it possible to look at one of the ip address' in the header and trace back (for example using http://visualroute.visualware.com) to the server to see if they really are in England?

Thanks,

Michael.

the person in england could (and prolly would) send an email from a server in the United States. the first server you would see would trace back to the US.

E.g. if they are using hotmail .com account even though they are in the uk it would trace to US because thats where .com servers are

Improbable. Unless they use a local server, the above scenarios are much more likely. (I believe - I may be wrong - that yahoo has servers in other countries as well?)

Once upon a time (not sure anymore though) hotmail would log the IP address of the person creating the mail. So, unless they were connecting through a proxy somewhere you could trace back to their ISP at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom