DSL and Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandma7

Beta member
Hi, I'm using an IBM Thinkpad with a V.92 PC Card (PCMIA) that has a cable that hooks to the card and the other end is to hook to the phone. Works fine for dial up; however, I would love to be able to use this computer for DSL. Does anyone know if there is an adapter or something available that will allow this?

Thanks

To get DSL, you have to subscribe through either your phone company or a third party provider.

DSL is only available near a hub (or whatever they're called). It only works within so far of the hub.

Check your phone company's website about availability, but I can tell you that if you live out in the sticks, it ain't available.

You can also check http://www.broadbandreports.com/search. Click Broadband Prequalification and enter your info.

Thanks; however, I already have dsl. I just need a way to hook the laptop up to it. I don't have a port to hook a lan or network line to. My modem card only has a phone line and the computer only has a parallel port and a usb port. Is there some way to adapt these ports to a network line port?

Check to see if your DSL modem can use USB as an output. Mine can, and I'm pretty sure that your lappy has a USB port.

If your modem doesn't have USB-out, you can get a USB adapter for your lappy to hook the ethernet cable into.

Of course you could always get a wireless router and a wifi card for your lappy... :D

An extra option...
-you could buy a PCMCIA -> ethernet adapter (such as here [click for Froogle])
and as he said...
-you can buy USB -> ethernet adapter (such as here
-you can buy a wireless PCMCIA card

But with it being a laptop, and presuming you don't play any new games on it, I'd highly recommend wireless. It's great to be able to walk around the house, or go outside and enjoy the sunset...while computin'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom