Creating your own forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
Can someone tell me the basic steps in creating your own forum? I've already got a domain name picked out and it is available.

Another question, can you profit from a forum? How much traffic would you need?

Create as in, write your own, or install one of the many free ones?

If you want to write on you'll need a vast understanding on PHP at the very least. If you want to install one, that's pretty easy and you'll just need to grab a free one. PHPBB, PunBB, and SMF are good ones.

Installing them varies amongst what you pick, but the principle is the same: upload files to web server, make MySQL database, run the install script.

As far as profit, yes you can make profit with ad scripts, such as Google AdSense. The amount of traffic you'd need to make money simply from page hits is quite a bit, I'd say a couple thousand unique visitors a month. However if say 100 people a month click an ad, you'd get a bit of money that way because ads can go for up to $10 per click, depending what the ad is about.

OK, I set up a phpBB forums.....and I'm using filezilla as my FTP.

I downloaded a custom style and put it in the appropriate folder using the FTP. The style doesn't show up as an available one though in my administrative control panel on the website. You know what is going on with that? Or where I messed up?

What version PHPBB? What folder did you put it in? Did you unpack the theme?

The newest stable.....I think it is v. 3.02.

I am at work now so I am trying to remember. It was the www/forum/styles folder I think.

There is a wealth of knowledge on the Phpbb community forums. Their manual is EXTREMELY extensive too.... probably may have just missed a small step. I would read through their documentation on installing new templates.

You must unpack the files first.
You will then we able to configure it in the ACP

Cheers,

~ Tkey

I have unpacked it....of course.

Actually, it is the public_html/forum/styles directory I think.

public_html / www are the same bloke ;)
Could you screenprint your styles panel in the ACP?
Also, what is the theme and location you have downloaded from?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom