Creating shortcut for a Website on the desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
Hi all,

I would like to have websites' shortcuts on my desktop for ease in surfing to websites which I frequent by using the steps below:

1. Right-clicked on a blank area in the currently visible web page

2. Clicked Create Shortcut on popup menu

3. Click OK to place the shortcut on your desktop

A link to this page was then created on my desktop. Through this shortcut I was supposed to be able to go to that particular web page by double clicking it.

However, it was not to be cos an error message appeared:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Question: How do I create an file association?

Any help most welcome.
Thanks!

I was able to make a shortcut to google by placing http://www.google.com in the target field. If that did not work for you try renaming the shortcut with a .url extension. For example Google.url

Emperor said:
try right-clicking on a blank space on your desktop,

then creating a shortcut

I tried your method by filling in the url address in the "Create Shortcut" window but when I clicked on the shortcut thus created the same previous error message appeared.

chog said:
I was able to make a shortcut to google by placing http://www.google.com in the target field. If that did not work for you try renaming the shortcut with a .url extension. For example Google.url

Sorry I don't quite get you.
Can you pls elaborate how you do it.
Thx

StopFireFox.com said:
If you are using IE, you can drag + drop your favorites on to your desktop. If you add the item to your favorites first, then you can just drag+drop. Also, you can look for the favorites files and copy them to your desktop... go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_ACCOUNT_HERE>\Favorites

this should work for win2k and xp

Yes I do use IE. I've tried your method by drag+dropping my favourite onto the desktop. Though I found your method of creating shortcut to be easier than what Emperor recommended, unfortunately it is still unusable cos I still received the same response (pls refer to my original post).

I think it could be something to do with File Association. But when I followed what was recommended by the error message i.e. Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options...> File Types > New, I got stucked cos I wasn't sure what next to do.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?
Thx!

StopFireFox.com said:
On any of the shortcuts on your desktop, hold the shift key and right click on them. You should get an "Open With..." option in the menu that pops up.

Scroll the list of apps and select Internet Explorer. There will be a checkbox at the bottom of the menu that says something like "always use this application", make sure that it's checked.

Then, your shortcut should open, and hopefully all future shortcuts as well.

I didn't see any "Open with", only saw "Open". I found that "Open with" option only appears for files but not for desktop shortcuts. What should I do now? Thx for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom