Copyright Infringment Email... O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
isohunt and torrentspy officiall send ip reports to the mpaa of the ip's involed in sharing, which is why i dont use torrents anymore, only newsgroups, also trackers are legal since they dont host anything illegal. What you may have is a cease and desist letter. does it look like this?

whatever you downloaded
time/day/year
ip address
where you downloaded from

insert big leter here

signed by isp?

hopefully this will make you stop downloading, and torrents are just as if not more dangerous tthan kazaa/limewire etc

yeah but not from us trackers, aussi trackers and other places not affected by the mpaa/riaa otherwise i just hop on to ssl secured bulletinn boards, or newsgroups

TheEnd187 said:
which is why i dont use torrents anymore, only newsgroups
So how do newsgroups work? Where are the files hosted? Is it an HTTP download thing? And how exactly can it be safer than torrents?

If I get out of this crisis alive (and i'm still a free citizen) I'll have to look into that lol.

I have not yet seen the email. My dad and I are on opposite sleep schedules, so I haven't had the chance to ask him to forward it to me.

BuddyRo said:
Didnt ur parents teach u not to steal?
My way of thinking is this: I wouldn't buy a DVD anyway, so they're not losing anything. It's not like I sell the DVDs or even give them away.
I enjoy and take pride in purchasing merchandise from the bands that I like. And if there is an album I'm positive I'll like, I'll buy it not DL.
Games you need to buy to play online anyway, so I usually download them for the single player and if I like it enough and I think the multiplayer would be good, I'll buy it.

That doesn't exactly mean it's okay lol... but it's better than DLing to make profit imo.

My way of thinking is this: I wouldn't buy a DVD anyway, so they're not losing anything. It's not like I sell the DVDs or even give them away.

thats my philosophy. i pay for quite a lot of games actually. its only when im hard up for cash that i download them. i also download movies often, because they dont show at the cinema anymore, and im not going to buy a DVD for amovie i havent seen yet, because for all i know, it could suck.

i only give money to people i think deserve it ;)

murdocsvan said:
i only give money to people i think deserve it
Exactly. That philosophy is biting me in the *** right now though lol :(. Well, atleast I think it is. Like I said, I've yet to see the email.

Email is too easy to spoof, and it is not secure. I would brush it off and call whoever supposedly sent it, roar like a thunderstorm over the phone at them, and see if they have balls to call me on it. Odds are they would have no idea what I was talking about.

Besides, tracking sites only have IP addresses, not email addresses. unless the email was registered with the tracker site, or it is through your ISP and the ISP gave it over to them, there is no way they could get the email address.

the mpaa gets the ip's from torrentspy, they are forced to hand over the ip and account details they also log the ip's at isohunt.

A bit of scary news appeared at ZDnet yesterday. We all know MPAA are little stupid sometimes but they take their job seriously and they still have a lot of power and manners how to achieve their goals. TorrentSpy, a popular BitTorrent search engine, was ordered on May 29 by a federal judge in the Central District of California in Los Angeles to create logs detailing users' activities on the site. TorrentSpy has promised in its privacy policy never to track visitors without their consent. “It is likely that TorrentSpy would turn off access to the U.S. before tracking its users,” Rothken said. “If this order were allowed to stand, it would mean that Web sites can be required by discovery judges to track what their users do even if their privacy policy says otherwise.”

This is believed to be the first time a judge has ordered a defendant to log visitor activity and then hand over the information to the plaintiff. Many Web companies keep visitor logs, which can include Internet Protocol addresses, as well as other information. Some choose not to record this data, including EFF, von Lohmann said. The TorrentSpy homepage ic currently displaying a brief message about current events and informs about the state of actual monitoring:

While we use Google Analytics for website statistics, TorrentSpy servers have never tracked your IP Address, the searches you make, or how you use the site. We are dedicated to your privacy and we are fighting for your rights.

It will be interesting to see how will this case end - I know many admins of torrent sites around the world and failure (for TorrentSpy) could mean a lot of troubles, as MPAA could easily continue in similar activities with other torrent websites. The main problem of TorrentSpy is it was hosted in the States for a long time (currently in Holland), and so it became way more vulnerable to American law and institutions. The site is topping almost 1 million visitors a day with more than 16% from United States, so this decision would probably have serious consequences.

BTW newsgroups are not from http they are servers, sometimes your isp provides free newsgroup access like mine but i would rather pay the $30 a month for unlimited access, ssl encryption both ways, downloading without uploading, and downloading at line speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom