Copy and paste when no option?

jl71984

Beta member
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I've been a huge tech fan from the first time I heard a dial up modem :lol:

Anyway, I'm sure you guys have been on websites that don't allow copy n paste. You can't highlight, can't right click or select all (ctrl + A) Can I go anywhere into the browser options or somewhere else to get the text? If not is there software that can do it? I use Chrome, Maxthon and Opera, can also try Firefox.

Btw I'm not trying to take anyone's work. Its for notes I need to take from a class. I want to be able to highlight and move stuff around. Thanks!

some websites disable this ability to copy, right click or even highlight, this is done mostly via javascript.

Try looking in the source code or you could try turning off javascript and try copying it then.

Or you could use a camera text scanner (not sure of right wording, MS Lumia phones have them built in), you just aim the camera at the text and it copies it all, then you can just email/text yourself it etc..

Might be other ways, like some sort of third party tool to enable the copy functions but you could just google. :cool:

When your on that web page, hit your "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. You can open that in windows paint, or whatever your favorite photo edit software you use, Crop what you need to save. I use Irfanview myself. Then I save that as a .PDF file. If you want just to save the text of your screen capture, you'll need a good OCR software to do that.

Last edited:
Try looking in the source code or you could try turning off javascript and try copying it then.

This.

Just hit F12 on your keyboard to bring up Dev Tools and you can browse through the rendered text. Or Right click the page -> View Source (can't do this one if Right click is disabled, though).

You can also disable JS within Dev Tools if you wanted to try that route.

This.

Just hit F12 on your keyboard to bring up Dev Tools and you can browse through the rendered text. Or Right click the page -> View Source (can't do this one if Right click is disabled, though).

You can also disable JS within Dev Tools if you wanted to try that route.

I tried that, seemed like the quickest and cleanest solution but nothing. The text wouldn't show up anywhere. I think its bc some software was running within the browser, not stuff that was actually being displayed by the pg code/source. Tried converting pg to PDF to get the text and it was mostly blank.

Anyway, I went through this:

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_copy_a_copy_protected_web_page/

and no luck. but us techies are persistent. Finally found the answer here:

Top 5 Free OCR Software Tools To Convert Images Into Text

Never thought I'd have use for OneNote! Thanks for the help guys. The OneNote OCR capability worked really well. Faster than screen capturing and running in through actual OCR software.

Hope others find this useful! :cool:

OneNote is kind of an un-sung hero honestly... Used it all the time in college for taking notes. Use it at work for meetings, as well if I need to take notes.

Back
Top Bottom