cookie problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zellturtle

Beta member
This is driving me crazy, i really hope someone can help!!

I noticed this problem for the first time about 2 weeks ago

There are several sites that I can only partially access, including britishairways, facebook, and irs.gov (yes its that time of year.) sometimes i get an error message that my cookies are disabled, sometimes, like with facebook, i simply can't log in but i don't get any error message. I usually use IE, and I went in and made sure cookies were enabled (under privacy) and i did it again under the same tab but under the advanced option. no change. Then I downloaded Firefox (i'd been meaning to try it anyway) and I had the exact same problems with the same sites. I also enabled cookies in Firefox.

I have a feeling that the problem might be connected to my McAfee. after letting my subscription lapse for several months I bought and downloaded the newest version in February. I'm not sure if i've accessed any of the 'problem' sites since I got McAfee or not. I went into McAfee and disabled everything, including the firewall, and added all of these 'problem' sites to the accept cookie list, then reopened both browsers and tried all the sites again, with no luck. It is really infuriating. Anyway, if you all can't offer any insights McAfee will be the next place I ask.

Thanks so much in advance

-Mary

Are you running a firewall, like one that came with McAfee? If you are, check the cookie settings on it. McAfee uses a re-branded version of ZoneAlarm, and can be set to stop cookies. I have seen this happen because of that before, and have had it happen to me the same way.

Hi - thanks for the reply. i already explained that i added the appropriate sites to the accept cookie list in McAfee. Is there something else i should be doing? what is ZoneAlarm?

Just because you turned off the firewall and that doesnt mean you disabled McAfee from running. There is all sorts of background services that run and were still affecting your system. It just stinks that you bought a subscription to it. McAfee is one of the worst Internet Suites out there.

You will have to do 2 things. 1. Get CCleaner and run it. Make sure there is no cookies left on the system.

2. Double check that you have McAffee setup right to allow these sites.

If you still can not get onto them go to the virus area and follow Osiris's guide to spyware removal. It is a sticky in that area. Post your hijack this log in the analyze area. Osiris will be there to help check your log.

That will make sure you dont have anything that is adversly affecting your system if all else fails.

ZoneAlarm = firewall maker. The firewall is different than the anti-virus, but you may be meaning McAfee as a whole.

Try setting it to allow all cookies and see if that is the problem. If it works, raise up the protection a notch and see. Once you find the threshold, use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom