Connecting to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

PadaWaN5

Baseband Member
Hello all, I haven't been on this forum in a while, and I am once again have internet connecting problems. Well, first off, its self explanatory, I can not connect to the internet on my upstairs computer. I have my wireless adapter plugged in, and I truly do not know whats going on. Can I get some help? Thanks,

Do you have a Wireless router? Did you connect the computer to the router to get a IP Address to connect to the internet?

Do you have a Wireless router? Did you connect the computer to the router to get a IP Address to connect to the internet?

I'm not sure what you mean, I am new to this things. Well, I have a down stairs computer, which has a router which the ethernet cord connects to the CPU. Upstairs, on the computer that doesn't have internet, has an adapter in the back. And I believe it conencts down to this computer.

Go down to your router and tell us the make and model of it.

Tell us the make and model of your wireless ethernet adapter on your upstairs computer.

Does your wireless adapter show up in device manager?
Did you recently install said adapter?

My router is a Westell model 327W

And my adapter is WG11v2

I would say I installed the adapter in March, But I am not completely sure.

Has the wireless ever worked?

Have you installed the drivers for the wireless card?
Can you see the wireless card in device manager?

If you open a command prompt and type:
ipconfig /all
Press enter. what does it say?

Has the wireless ever worked?

Have you installed the drivers for the wireless card?
Can you see the wireless card in device manager?

If you open a command prompt and type:
ipconfig /all
Press enter. what does it say?

Yes the wireless worked, How do you find if its in the device manager

and when i do ipconifg /all it says

Ethernet adapter local area connection

media state - -- - - Media Disconnected

desription - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.

physical adress - 00-18-F3-dd-dd-32

Wireless networking connection

Media State - Media disconnectd

Description - Netgear WG11v2 54 mbps Wireless USB

2.0 Adapter

Physicall adress - 00-1f-33-87-09-85

You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

Try to connect to a wireless network if it shows in network adapters in device manager.

XP:
1. Right-click the wireless network icon in the lower-right corner of your screen, and then click View Available Wireless Networks. If you run into any problems, consult the documentation that came with your network adapter. Don't be afraid to call their tech support.

2. The Wireless Network Connection window should appear and you should see your wireless network listed with the network name you chose. If you don't see your network, click Refresh network list in the upper-left corner. Click your network, and then click Connect in the lower-right corner.
Choose wireless connection

3. Windows XP prompts you to enter a key. Type the encryption key that you wrote down earlier in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes, and then click Connect.

4. Windows XP will show its progress as it connects to your network. After you're connected, you can now close the Wireless Network Connection window. You're done.

Note: If the Wireless Network Connection window continues to show Acquiring Network Address, you may have mistyped the encryption key.

Vista:

1. Click Start and then click Connect to.

2. Click the wireless network to which you want to connect, and then click Connect.

Yes the wireless worked, How do you find if its in the device manager

and when i do ipconifg /all it says

Ethernet adapter local area connection

media state - -- - - Media Disconnected

desription - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.

physical adress - 00-18-F3-dd-dd-32

Wireless networking connection

Media State - Media disconnectd

Description - Netgear WG11v2 54 mbps Wireless USB

2.0 Adapter

Physicall adress - 00-1f-33-87-09-85

Tip for the future: you don't need to type that out . Windows cmd shell can be a pain but what you can do is use redirection like this
Code:
ipconfig /all >ip.conf
then display in notepad or whatever
Code:
notepad ip.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom