Chinese characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhsfo

Beta member
When reading text on some (not all) websites, I see Chinese characters in some of the sentences. Here is an example: "Coming back, we decided to take ÅÕhe other road."
I've contacted the author of the newsletter on this website and he has never heard this complaint before. I've checked the same website with two other computers and I DON'T see Chinese characters with my other computers. I've scanned the computer where these appear with Symantec Anti-Virus, Spybot Search and Destroy, Microsoft Antispyware and Spyware Doctor. My anti-virus definitions are updated when available via Symantec.

I don't have IE6 or any other program on my computer set to have the Chinese language as a secondary language.

It is possible that these characters are Japanese Kanji rather than Chinese.

I exchange email with friends in Japan and on Taiwan regularly but don't visit websites written in Chinese or Japanese.

I look forward to getting suggestions on what I should do to get rid of this problem, what scanning software to use, suggestions on what may cause the problem, etc.

Thank you very much.

jwhsfo

The problem continues and I don't understand it at all. Sometimes Chinese characters appear instead of (") parentheses marks and sometimes just as the first letter of a word ("The range of communities in New Zealand varies from very ÅÐutback¡¦ ÅÓural¡¦or even ÅÓugged¡¦to pretty cosmopolitan."). Has anyone ever had this problem? Do you still have it? Have you been able to fix it? Thank you.

I solved my own problem. It was a matter of faulty "encoding" in IE6. I stumbled on this problem, changed the the "encoding" to Western European. Ssomehow it got changed to Japanese and I saw Japanese Kanji (really Chinese) characters at places in some of the text I was readling online. When I printed the page, it was printed out the same way.

I'm not a computer technician and, perhaps, I posted this problem on the wrong website but it surprises me that, of all the people who saw this post, no one suggested the simple fix of checking my "encoding" status.

I'm just a plain, ordinary person with no special training in computer problems but it feels good to have found, finally, my own fix for this vexing problem. I hope others reading this will think of mentioning this to others should they have the misfortune of having this problem occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom