can pages purposely crash browser ?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
I noticed a lot of pages crashing when I'm using ad blocker
are they purposely crashing your browser so you disable the ad blocker?
for average user it might seem like ad blocker is at fault so when they disable it pages start working and showing ads

I'm using adblock plus

lol
i refuse to answer that trick question
in general do you guys know if webpages are purposely making scripts to run and slow down or crash your browser once they detect ad blocker? regardless of the browser

internet explorer
its doing it on all my computers
everything is updated and I'm using ad blocker above.
even without ad blocker it did also I just realized

random pages random times as far as i can tell
ebay is often crashing
yahoo mail
xda forums of course

You're also using IE, which can act funny with script-heavy pages. And basically a lot of pages are script-heavy nowadays. I know you don't like to hear it, but it's the truth. Just another reason web developers hate making sites compatible with IE.

Yes, and so can Edge.

One issue is IE doesn't support all elements of HTML5, and really only has basic support. Most pages have moved to HTML5 and very seldom use Flash. Since IE is not supported anymore they won't update the engine to further support HTML5. This can cause crashes.
Sort of like trying to use an older version of IE from an older OS to get online to download a driver or update. Most of the time the pages will crash due to elements not loading correctly and scripting.

Can a page crash the browser due to running Ad Block? No, but pages do have Ad Block detectors built in now, or at least most ad heavy sites do that require the revenue. If you're not seeing these it could be a direct relation (try going to Forbes as a test, I know they have an uber one, greedy bastards). Another issue that could be related is for IE and Edge Ad Block is ran as a service and is not directly integrated as a plugin like in other browsers. THis could be causing an overflow issue of some sort with too many ads being blocked. Or, the ads could only be hidden rather than blocked from loading causing something malicious to still run. Script injection tries to happen and IE crashes because the script injection is expecting something newer. Idk really how the IE Ad Block works so just spitballing here.

Back
Top Bottom