Can others prevent me from accessing the Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azera Lee

Beta member
I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to the Internet, the connections and what-nots. But I do have a question that I hope to get an answer for so that I know what's going on.

I have a wireless internet connection at home with a router and using this with 6 other people in the same house. Is it possible for someone in the house who decides to somehow block any connection signal to my desktop/laptop and prevent me from going online, whilst the rest are still able to?

This has happened a lot and I'm personally getting tired and quite frustrated about it since I'm also paying my share for the service every month.

Thanking those who reply (if any..=D) in advance.

Regards,
Azera

Yes, if they log into the router and it has some sort of Quality Control feature on it, then it is possible.

Why don't you just ask them if that's happening?

Yes they can, especially if someone has access to the router. They can also setup QoS on the router which will give precedence to specific applications and/or computers when accessing the internet.

Your best bet is to talk with your roommates about the situation.

I think I'd off myself if I had to live with six different people.

But in answer to your question, as stated above... Yes it's entirely possible.

The only thing to me is ... why? I mean I wouldn't automatically assume it's the roommates, and if that is your automatic assumption, there is no trust there and best move out. There are tons of reasons your computer could be having trouble connecting to the net; none of which have to do with sabotage.

Thanks to all those who replied. (carnageX, lexluethar and JoshuaJay)

As was suggested, I did go and share with the others about my problem, hoping I could somewhat make a calculated guess of whether one of them is actually trying to possibly sabotage the connection, because I couldn't exactly asked them upfront without sounding and being confrontational.

And Joshua, I have tried being positive and not automatically making assumptions, and as of now, I'm still holding on to that thinking. I've actually called in for an expert help to just figure out maybe there is really something wrong with my computer, and not the connection. I'm grateful enough to have roommates who are willing to let me use their desktops so I can still connect to the Internet.

If, and only if, my automatic assumptions turn out to be true, I will consider moving out. If not, it just goes to show I really don't know how the internet and its paraphernalia work...hehe >_<

Anyways, thanks for the answers and suggestions. I appreciate them. :big_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom