Building a price comparison web site (e.g Kelkoo etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rageh

Beta member
Im currently a third year computer science student about to start my final year beast of a project. In terms of ideas for this, the front runner is to build my own version of a site like Kelkoo/dealtime etc.

As far as i understand it, this would involve taking the users search request, and passing it on to many other web servers. Im just going to concentrate on CD's to start with, then maybe expand in the future.

Basically, the main problem i have is finding out how to query another site (for instance amazon).

I have started by concentrating on amazon, but everything on their site seems to be pointing me towards using various pieces of pre-written software to integrate with my site, which is not what i want.

It does say that when their server is queried it returns data in XML format. What i want to do is simply request this data based on a users input string (and maybe a few other bits of data like product catagory), and just pick out the relevant bits of what is returned.

If anyone has any advice they could give it would be much appreciated.

I'm sorry i can't give you any advice since i've never done anything of this sort, but i'd suggest you post this on a webmaster forum like bandofgonzos.com or webrproworld.com etc. They might be able to help you out more there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom