Browsers won't connect - settings problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roseswirl

Beta member
Hey, new here......kind of having a little problem with a computer. Probably is very minor...but I can't seem to figure it out. But heres the scope:

My brother/sister came home for the holidays....and people started messing around with my parents computer...and I have a feeling someone set something wrong in the control panel. And now none of the browsers (internet explorer, firefox) will connect. The firefox says "can't connect to server" and the internet explorer just has the no display page. But there is a connection (I already checked that out). From the looks of things it looks like something is either a) blocking the connection or b) some option is set funny.

So I disabled the firewall they had up...and uninstalled the virus, spyware programs...and that still didn't fix the problem. I don't know what it could be. I even tried reinstalling firefox. And nothing. Maybe something is set wrong in the internet options section? I don't know. Any suggestions? My parents are all up in my face about trying to fix it (and I'm not the best at this type of thing...but compared to them I'm a computer God hah). Its running windows XP with 512 of ram. Any help would be great! thanks!

Kristin

Roseswirl,
I dont know much about computers myself...but this might help you. right click on IE go to programs and you will see a tab to Reset Web Settings. you might want to try and hit that and see if that helps or make sure you have no new connections added. And you can go to the advanced tab and restore to defaults. see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom