broadband connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

allywilson

Beta member
Hi guys, got a bit of a puzzler for you.

Just the other day got ISDN converted to an analogue for ADSL.
I can sync up with the line no problem, have low dB levels and all that.
When I actually connect to my ISP it seems fine too.
If I view a webpage it seems fine, and it will be fine - for about a minute. After a minute it disconnects.

Now, I decided to do some timings, so I can raise the issue with my ISP, and here's the catch.

Just so I knew the exact moment, I setup an eternal ping, and just watched it. It never disconnected!

So...in other words, without dragging this out, I get disconnected when viewing web content (ICMP traffic doesn't disconnect it).

I have tried the connection on an ADSL Router (connected via Wireless or Ethernet) and on an ADSL USB Modem. Problem occurs on both.

Oh, and after it disconnects, I can't reconnect. It's still in-sync though. I actually have to either reboot the PC (or the USB Modem) or Reboot the router.

This happens if I'm connected on my own details, or if I'm connected on the ISPs test details (which only let you ping/view one website).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking the ISP will just say "So whenever you reboot your equipment it works right? So it's not our issue."

Cheers,

Ally.

Well that is a bit of a puzzler. So if I understand this correctly, you can ping out while it tells you it is disconnected? One thing to consider is the hardware. When doing a proper reboot to your hardware, disconnect all power sources and power down your pc. Let the modem come online first, then plug in your router and boot up your pc.
Basically, that lets the modem come online, and then the router picks up a proper online signal from the cache in the modem. Once that occurs, we should have a constant signal.
I am more than aware of how ISP's will say, oh your hardware is the issue, or we don't support third party hardware issues .. then they reroute you to some other help center where you get some person you can't understand due to language barriers.
Some other areas to check out, look at the device manager and ensure the usb drivers are installed and functioning properly. And to confirm it's not just a browser issue, try doing a repair to IE and see where that takes you.
Another option is to try and run a tracert through your ISP. I'm assuming they host their own webite so try running a tracert on their site, and see if you lose any hops to them on their network, that usually makes them sit up and say oh, it's out network all right .. ;)

~Fawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom