Blocked Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even tho I used the host file is there another way around this I mean can jus a average joe jus get around this or would they have to have alot of ambition to get around it.

If you mean just for one person/one machine, with no one helping, I think this might be the best and only "generic" way. Windows doesn't have a built-in way that always works.

In Windows XP, you can edit and save the file in the System32\drivers\etc location, but the file is set to read-only. So you have to change file properties temporarily to save it, then set them back to read-only.
In Windows 7, I don't think the file is read-only. That's because it's a protected folder. You can't edit anything in that location. You can, however, edit hosts at another location, and then paste over the active hosts file.

Internet Explorer, allows you to add sites to Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, but this too often doesn't work. You can also add sites to Internet Options, Privacy, Sites and add sites with the "blocked" setting. That would allow you to go to the site, but none of the active stuff tends to run. Doing both Restricted and Privacy sometimes still lets sites through.

I've also seen some of my sites blocked by hosts get through. I think this is because some unblocked sites act as proxies for some of the blocked sites, but I could be wrong.
Editing the hosts file has been the simplest and easiest way for me. And it's free. When I really, really want something blocked, I block it at all three mentioned locations above. it has worked for me so far.

I just add something like the following to hosts for each site...
127.0.0.1 www.vermin.net
127.0.0.1 vermin.net

You can edit the host files in Vista/Win7 even with it being in a protected folder.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Right click on Notepad and select Run as Admin

There open up the Host file. You will be able to edit it even with it located in the "protected" folder. I have personally done this so i know it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom