Best way to backup webmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insight

Beta member
1st post!!!

Hi everyone, my issue is as follows.

On my church webmail I have one of our staff members doing a lot of email, they maxed thier quota so I increased it for them, but they have 900MB of email (and I think it's mostly text:eek: ).

I want to know the best way to backup email from a webmail server, but...

1. I'd like if we could take just the old stuff down so she could leave her current stuff up and ready to use

2. Someone please tell me there's some better format to store it in than as messages in an email program (I HATE email programs), I'd just like something more organized

(Yah, so I have 8MB free space left on my webhost so any ideas = awesome.)
Thank you.

Hello, and welcome to Tech-Forums.

Are you trying to upload some of the e-mail files to an online file server?

I would suggest zipping the files, using FreeZip (it's free), and creating a ZIP file of the 8MB of emails that don't fit on your server.

Next, create an account on a Free File Hosting Website. There are many, just choose what you're comfortable with.

Any questions, feel free to re-post them in the message box.

I still hate outlook, but...

Thanks for the speedy reply

First, to clarify, we have an external webhost through which we have our email, and we want to download her mail to her computer.

That said it turns out my fellow staffer says she likes outlook but it only worked once for her and then stopped. I tried it, and as was to be expected, it worked perfectly - however it only dowloaded her inbox. She has stuff stored in all sorts of folders online (like 30+) and it would be a real pain to have to put all this in the inbox and then re-sort it.

Is there any way to download all her other folders intact. (We can access it using POP or IMAP)

Thanks for all help.

What you could try, is going to Start > Search > then in the search box, type in the folders names' (make sure you go to Advanced search options, and search for hidden files and folders). Then in the directory column, you should look for something that deals with Outlook. Try and copy/paste the files onto a flash drve or, like what talldude said, upload them to an external host. I believe this should work, but it's been a little while since I've had to deal with Outlook. This happened to a customer that had come in to get their computer worked on at where I work, and that's what I did. But I just can't remember if it did save the messages or not (Like I said, its been a little while).

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear.

The emails are on our webhost's computer and I want to get them to our computer.

On her webmail account she has lots of folders and I want to get these folders to her computer. I'm trying to download, not upload.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom