Archived Cache Copy of Past Advertisement

How doesn't it? Your lawyer writs an official letter to their legal dept.

Or have another person you know contact them and give you the copy they receive, if they do receive one.

Also, CX, it seems like you are giving answers to something that you don't know about because what good would a lawyer's letter do to request a copy of an archived cache copy of a past advertisement if the IT department does not or can not provide that. And which is why I started the thread. But it doesn't look as if anyone who works at the IT department for their employer frequents these threads.

Also, CX, it seems like you are giving answers to something that you don't know about because what good would a lawyer's letter do to request a copy of an archived cache copy of a past advertisement if the IT department does not or can not provide that. And which is why I started the thread. But it doesn't look as if anyone who works at the IT department for their employer frequents these threads.

I've been IT my whole life but thanks for assuming ;).

The letter or request from the lawyer was an alternative because you said you're unable to contact them yourself. If you're in a legal dispute with the company and your lawyer has advised you to not contact them, then have your lawyer contact them on your behalf requesting said advertisement.

Your lawyer wouldn't write to their IT department specifically (I wouldn't think), but rather the company as a whole and your request may go to the appropriate party (whether that's the IT department, sales, marketing, etc.) after their legal team advises them as well.

Joe suggested an alternative of checking the Internet Archive, which you said was unfruitful. I also suggested having somebody you know request the materials if you're unable to do it yourself.

You haven't really given much for information for us to give more specific help. For example, what's the company? Date of the advertisement in question? Maybe there's a way to scrape the past advertisement off of their website (if they have one).

I've been IT my whole life but thanks for assuming ;).

The letter or request from the lawyer was an alternative because you said you're unable to contact them yourself. If you're in a legal dispute with the company and your lawyer has advised you to not contact them, then have your lawyer contact them on your behalf requesting said advertisement.

Your lawyer wouldn't write to their IT department specifically (I wouldn't think), but rather the company as a whole and your request may go to the appropriate party (whether that's the IT department, sales, marketing, etc.) after their legal team advises them as well.

I've talked to *a* lawyer and because the amount of money involved wasn't humonous, I was told it would be better to take this case to small claims court, thus, my interest in having the information subpoenaed

Joe suggested an alternative of checking the Internet Archive, which you said was unfruitful. I also suggested having somebody you know request the materials if you're unable to do it yourself.

You haven't really given much for information for us to give more specific help. For example, what's the company? Date of the advertisement in question? Maybe there's a way to scrape the past advertisement off of their website (if they have one).

This involves a car advertisement at a car dealership. One internet site(autotrader.com) had the price of the car for X amount of dollars and I even talked to the salesperson who sold me the car about the advertised price. Plus, I even checked the car dealership's internet ad and it was for the same amount. However, in the guise of an extended warranty, the salesperson changed the amount to Y amount of dollars causing me to think that the increased amount was because of the extended warranty. I talked to the manager of the dealership and he asked me if I had a copy of the internet ad, which I told him no. I also talked to autotrader.com and the telephone representative is the person who introduced me to the idea that their IT department would have an archived cache copy of the ad, but wouldn't be able to provide it to me unless I had a court order. Therefore, so far, this one source is telling me that I could get an archived copy of the ad from their IT department.

I bought the car in early June and the ad appeared in early June. Plus, I have two years after the sale of the car to take this case to small claims court. Also, the amount that I feel like I was defrauded out of was $2000.

The selling company will be the one with a copy of the ad details, and should also be able to retrieve the old ad without a court order necessary as they are the owner of hte original ad posted. If they are an upstanding company then you might be able to politely request they call autotrader to retrieve this info and put the matter to rest.

Make this request in writing with a full and clear explanation of your position - remember to be civil and non-accusatory. Just state the facts.

If they don't or won't help you, then it depends on exactly what you've signed.

If your signature is on a legal document that lays out the cost of the car and the warranty period as currently stands, then I'm sorry you probably don't have much of a case - it is your duty to read a contract before you sign. The only exception I know to this is that the contract must be clearly laid out in way that you could be reasonably expected to understand its terms.

The selling company will be the one with a copy of the ad details, and should also be able to retrieve the old ad without a court order necessary as they are the owner of hte original ad posted. If they are an upstanding company then you might be able to politely request they call autotrader to retrieve this info and put the matter to rest.

The lawyer that I talked to said that he had experienced a bait-and-switch situation with a car salesman and said that they are scum. Therefore, I am very skeptical about the employees being "upstanding," even though the company is considered a reputable company.

Make this request in writing with a full and clear explanation of your position - remember to be civil and non-accusatory. Just state the facts.

If they don't or won't help you, then it depends on exactly what you've signed.

If your signature is on a legal document that lays out the cost of the car and the warranty period as currently stands, then I'm sorry you probably don't have much of a case - it is your duty to read a contract before you sign. The only exception I know to this is that the contract must be clearly laid out in way that you could be reasonably expected to understand its terms.

Well, the head manager of the dealership did ask me if I had a copy of the ad, implying that a copy of the ad would make a difference. However, the fact that he asked me for a copy of the ad instead of volunteering to retrieve an archived copy of the ad seems to indicate that he either doesn't know about archived copies of ad or that he's not willing to go out of his way to retrieve a copy of something which would make them liable for owing me $2000.

Well, the head manager of the dealership did ask me if I had a copy of the ad, implying that a copy of the ad would make a difference. However, the fact that he asked me for a copy of the ad instead of volunteering to retrieve an archived copy of the ad seems to indicate that he either doesn't know about archived copies of ad or that he's not willing to go out of his way to retrieve a copy of something which would make them liable for owing me $2000.

No comments on this?

Sounds like he was just brushing you off on what he knew would be a difficult/impossible task.

Again to be honest, if you signed a contract that has the final sale price clearly laid out and what exactly that includes, it might not even matter if the ad originally stated a different price.

And yeah doesn't sound like an entirely honest company, though I'm completely unsurprised that a small 2nd hand car dealership doesn't want to help implicate themselves in a dodgy transaction.

Either way, sounds like you're stuck without actually taking them to court. Small claims don't allow lawyers, so it'll be you and the manager or sales rep doing the talking.

I think it will help your case if you have a response in writing from the ad company that they require the party who posted & paid for the ad to request a copy of it. And also, once you have that request, email it to the sales company and ask them to email the ad company (provide the email address to send request to), confirming you have their permission to seek a copy of the ad.

Once you've done all that, and if the sales company still refuse to send even a simple email, you'll likely have a better small claims case. You've done as much groundwork as you can and have everything in writing, and the sales company is clearly trying to obstruct finding details for the original ad. The case here would be, why would you suddenly agree to pay $2,000 more than what the ad originally asked for? It makes no sense.

Also, if you have a copy of the contract you signed, black out any personally identifying info and post it up if you'd like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom