Annoying disconnections

Status
Not open for further replies.

himynameisphil

Beta member
We signed up for BT Total Broadband last week (Thursday 22nd February).

Everything has been working fine but now I experience slow and unstable connection.

The problem only occurs when a large amount of bandwidth is being used (such as when downloading files and viewing streamed video online at the same time) and the computer disconnects from the homehub but then reconnects fine a few seconds later.

I thought this may be due to BT testing the line but was told this would stop after 10 days. Its has not been 12 days and the problem is getting worse.

I am using a bt homehub and a sitecom wg-171 wireless card.

i have had all the usual rubbish from bt like check your firewall and delete cookies but i have just formatted the computer, changed operating systems, all the equipment is brand new and nothing has changed sing the connection was working fine last week

You formatted? Did you reinstall the drivers for your hardware?

Download AND streaming??? Unless you have an insane connection it's no wonder things are going screwy.

If the line is disconnecting it will be due to a instable sync on the MAX service.

What does your router report as the stats? Worse case scenario is BT will limit your connection to a lower stable connection.

Just crossed my mind... your hardware may need a firmware update.

Go to your manufacturer's website, and download then install the latest drivers for your stuff (I'm figuring onboard LAN, otherwise go to your ethernet card manufacturer's site).

If that doesn't fix your problem, contact the manufacturer of your modem, and have them walk you through updating the firmware in it.

Last resort, call your ISP and give them an earfull.

An afterthought... have you tried rebooting your modem and/or router? Unplug it, as well as all the wires to it. Let it set for 30+ seconds. Plug the power back in and let it stabilize. Hook up the incoming and let it stabilize. Then connect it to your computer.

himynameisphil said:
those are possibly the 2 most annoying replys i have ever seen

Why?

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ useful site if you need more help than we can give tbh.

I would still be interested to see the downstream margin and attenuation. Along with sync and the 'as the crow flies' distance from your nearest exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom