ADSL speed issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashenne

Beta member
Gah. Okay. So i'm supposed to be on ADSL2+.

The speed test from speedtest.net shows that i'm reaching speeds of between 6mb/s and 7mb/s, which is all well and good, but when i'm surfing the web, the speed is nowhere near 6 or 7 mb/s. Sometimes, i'm certain dial-up would load faster.

This is the most recent result from a speed test:

All of the speed test sites I use give me pretty much the same result, but there is no way in heck that the said speeds are being applied when I surf the web.
I'm using a Speedstream 4200 modem, and the firmware is updated. I'm thinking this could be the issue and i'm looking at getting a new modem when I get paid.

Is there anything else that could be factoring in the speed issues i'm having? I'm fairly new at all of this, and it just baffles me as to why the speed tests are showing the speeds I SHOULD be getting, but it's just not happening. Downloading things is fine, like programs or movie/music files.. They're as fast as they should be. It's just general web surfing that is slower than my 92 year old grandma in slow motion. :cry:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

You cant take speedtest for its results. As they only do a single test with a small file size. So yeah you have the potential for that speed, the actual speeds are going to be much lower when doing tasks for longer than the 5-10 seconds it takes to download that file.

Your best bet is to contact the provider and see if they can help diagnose why your getting slower speeds and make sure that your getting the speeds your paying for.

Sync rate is a measurement at what speed your modem can talk to with the MSAN or DSLAM at the exchange, your speed can depend on a number of things attenuation is a common one say your on a 20:1 line that's fine as your sharing that connection with 20 or so people but smaller ISP's or smaller exchanges may have 50:1 or 100:1 contention on a single 10Mb pipe going to the exchange to your providers network.

But I would try a new microfilter or filters as that is under your control and I would also test from the Master socket as that will remove any possible internal wiring issues I would also say contact your phone provider and ask them to run a line test and if you can get the results from them and post them here as I can look them over and tell you if there is a potential issue,One last thing I would also ask your ISP to do is cycle your port from ADSL 2+ to ADSL and back again as sometimes that can fix the slow throughput issue.

If you end up talking to your ISP over a slow speeds issue they might ask for a pathping or traceroute to check for a routing issue, I have seen one odd one that essentially sent traffic bound for the USA round the world essentially coming back up through South America after bouncing round Europe, the middle east and Asia first.

Even with a high contention ratio from the ISP, would the speed test still result in speeds he will not experience?

The only way to get the correct sync rate is for him to contact his ISP, site's like speed test are fine if your on a decent connection like a cable or leased line connection but when it comes to *DSL they can vary from passable to hugely inaccurate, but i am leaning to this being some what correct. I am taking a educated stab in the gloom with this one and I am going to pin this down to a crappy filter or rj11 as this can cause throughput issues that would not show up clearly without knowing his line quality, SnR profile and if his line card is in error or if his E side or D side equipment is working correctly etc.

Could the OP post a path ping please as I would like to check that over to see if you have a odd routing pattern.

So long answer yes it could.

Usually adsl speed tests let you you see just a snapshot of your current download/upload speed.
You should run several of these tests, from all around the world and then compare them with speedtests run directly from your adsl provider(if any available).

Hi, seeing as I'm also having speed issues, I thought I might as well post in an existing thread.

My problem isn't so much broswer related, in fact, my problem is just that all my downloads are slow.

I'm with Westnet, on ADSL1 Home 2 plan or something. They say that my download can be at 1500kb/s maximum. But, at the moment, I seem to struggle to reach 150kb a second.

I have contacted them, but they basically told me to take a flying leap. Apparently 150kb/s is perfectly fine when you're paying as much as I am, and you're expecting at least half the maximum speed.

Anyway, they won't help me, so I thought someone here might.

I have Windows 7, A Belkin F5D5630au4 router, and a Compaq Presario SR5520AN Desktop PC.

I'm just giving as much information as possible, and while I know the basics of sofware and hardware, I'm not an expert by any means.

Is there a way I can optomise my internet speed, to at least squeeze everything I can out of the pathetic amount they allow me? Or, am I stuck with 150kb/s speeds?

Thanks in advance.

There isnt much that we can do. I would switch providers if they are not willing to work with you.

When it comes to downloads it comes to so much more than just what package you pay for. It doesnt account for the distance you are away from the nearest data center, it doesnt account for line integrity and it doesnt account for if the line is shared or dedicated.

If the nearest data center is miles and miles away from you, that is extra distance the signal has to transfer. If there is no signal boosters and no repeaters in place then the signal will degrade over that distance. Giving you slower speeds.

Line integrity is big cause if a tree falls and knocks th main line loose or the wire is damged by high winds or any other act of nature that cant be accounted for.

The last aspect is shared or dedicated. So while you may have a single line going to your house, that doesnt mean that all the surrounding houses and your line dont connect at a central hub that then goes to the ISP. Which will result in sigbal degregation.

So as you see there is so much more to it that there is no way we can say for sure "Yeah do this and it will improve".

Sorry i know its not the answer you want but no way we can provide an accurate answer for you.

Hi, seeing as I'm also having speed issues, I thought I might as well post in an existing thread.

My problem isn't so much broswer related, in fact, my problem is just that all my downloads are slow.

I'm with Westnet, on ADSL1 Home 2 plan or something. They say that my download can be at 1500kb/s maximum. But, at the moment, I seem to struggle to reach 150kb a second.

I have contacted them, but they basically told me to take a flying leap. Apparently 150kb/s is perfectly fine when you're paying as much as I am, and you're expecting at least half the maximum speed.

Anyway, they won't help me, so I thought someone here might.

I have Windows 7, A Belkin F5D5630au4 router, and a Compaq Presario SR5520AN Desktop PC.

I'm just giving as much information as possible, and while I know the basics of sofware and hardware, I'm not an expert by any means.

Is there a way I can optomise my internet speed, to at least squeeze everything I can out of the pathetic amount they allow me? Or, am I stuck with 150kb/s speeds?

Thanks in advance.

Did you sign up for 1500kb/s (1.5mb/s)? If so, the 150kB/s speeds are fairly accurate. People don't realize that when getting internet services the companies advertise in BITS not BYTES. Your computer downloads "bytes", as that's the data storage side.

Your 1.5mb/s connection can/will only download ~185kB/s.

My 10mb/s connection can/will only download ~1220kB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom