Yak thread? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Default Yak thread?

I spend a lot of time here, and sometimes it is nice to just be able to chat with people, but we can't really do that in the threads (cept in OT) without thread jacking.

At another forum I spend a lot of time at, we have a YAK sticky thread. (Same as OT sticky thread) Just a place to say hi, talk about whatever is on your mind. The rules are a little bit more lax in that thread, double posts are ok... anything that you want to talk about, is talked about in there. No thread jacking, just talk. Of course the rules would be a little diff here, like possibly, no double posts, but that way we dont have to start a new thread for something small.
anyone else like the idea?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Yak thread?

Humm there realy is no point to that, OT is geared towards things non tech related. The rules we do have in place are there more to stop flaming an keep the peace rather than to restrict people.

Topics such as religion an politics can go down hill fast they are subjects people feel close to there hearts an can take offense at that is why they are not permitted, prity much anything else is a allowed subject although there are cases where the thread is deleted or locked to prevent it from becoming a flame fest.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chadwick View Post
Humm there realy is no point to that, OT is geared towards things non tech related. The rules we do have in place are there more to stop flaming an keep the peace rather than to restrict people.

Topics such as religion an politics can go down hill fast they are subjects people feel close to there hearts an can take offense at that is why they are not permitted, prity much anything else is a allowed subject although there are cases where the thread is deleted or locked to prevent it from becoming a flame fest.
I understand all of that, but sometimes you dont want a whole thread to say something. But then again, I do do all of this at other forums, so it isnt a big deal, I was just wondering
Old 02-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Interesting concept. Seems like it would be best served by a chatroom of some sort. Tech-Forums had one in ages past, but it didn't see any activity. Since I don't IM (anymore), I'm not current on which ones have this capability.

Putting one's IM info in their profile could help facilitate this, as it would allow others to give them a shout and an invite. You can use the Who's Online link to see who is online and logged on (duh). You will find said link at the bottom of the main index.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 02-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Interesting concept. Seems like it would be best served by a chatroom of some sort. Tech-Forums had one in ages past, but it didn't see any activity. Since I don't IM (anymore), I'm not current on which ones have this capability.

Putting one's IM info in their profile could help facilitate this, as it would allow others to give them a shout and an invite. You can use the Who's Online link to see who is online and logged on (duh). You will find said link at the bottom of the main index.
yeah, the main reason I like it better than a chatroom type of deal, is that it is slower. Just as slow as normal posting, but about nothing really. Check out the forum in my sig to see what i am talking about. You can view as a visitor, for someone as intelligent as you, the yak thread should not be hard to find.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

The concept may not really be a concept, but it may be answered by us having the longest thread of any forum. I'll start the longest thread in the OT forum and it will be up to the members to keep it going, talking about anything and everything (except those things not allowed by the rules) and everyone can contribute to it as often as they like. There will really be no subject matter, except for making this the longest thread of any forum, and that will take a long time to beat.

So, go to the potentially longest thread in history and start posting. The thread is here.

Dave
Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Cool. I will be a contributor.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

I think tech forums should have mIRC.

mIRC: Internet Relay Chat client
Old 02-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

We did but it wasn't popular.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

lame